Monday, August 7, 2023

Regression

It was raining and hot this morning but the pups and I went to the park. They ran around, did their business and then wondered why no one else was there. Even summer camp appears to have been canceled. I had a few errands to do before getting to the gym. The gym is crowded with teens and seniors. While I'm pedaling on the elliptical, I glance past the other equipment to see two men on ladders fussing with one of the ceiling fans. The stretch cage is directly behind one of the ladders, which means I'm not doing pull-ups after cardio.

I actually don't get to do cardio after core either, because while the ladders have moved, there's someone else in the stretch cage. I recognize her as a very senior lady (maybe in her late 80s or early 90s?) and I'm glad she survived the pandemic. But I'm also not going to sit around waiting for her to be done. Plus, the gym is really crowded with teens now.

Everything was good, except for those blasted wall squats. I had trouble making it to 60 seconds mostly because I was fighting the urge to reposition my feet. But finally, I succumb and shift my feet forward a tiny bit. So while I do finally have 90 seconds, it's not continuous and it's a far cry from the recommended 120 seconds. I fare better with the elbow plank. I'll try again tomorrow. My sciatica is barely noticeable, and it's the left glute that feels bruised when doing hip bridges. Otherwise, everything feels routine. 

My son leaves for college in a few short weeks. He finally got his learner's permit this past Friday. Yaaay. Now I'm arranging for a few quick intensive driving lessons from a driving school where the instructor comes to pick up the student, and the car has 2 sets of brakes. Yep, "old school" is what I was looking for. I don't expect him to learn to drive in just two lessons. I just want him to become familiar with the basics of driving. Then I'll schedule a few more lessons during holiday breaks, and eventually, maybe he'll be a bit more excited to learn this skill. Maybe. 

I recently read an interesting article about people exuding such an offensive odor that others have claimed to be allergic. I wonder if this is anything like the stink that surrounded my husband when he was drinking constantly. It's been a few weeks and that nasty monkey-cage stench has finally gone. My fingers are crossed that this time his vanity will be enough to keep him sober. Usually, I don't bother arguing with him when he's been drinking because reasoning abilities are impaired. Or he'll claim not to remember anything we discussed. 

I told him that I hated being with him because he literally, physically stank all the time and that nastiness permeated his clothes, the bedding, the entire bedroom. His breath was eye-wateringly nauseating and this rank odor surrounded him like swamp gas. (Because he's in the field where everyone else stinks as well, no one has ever complained. I'm sure if he worked in a cubicle, things would be different.) I suspect it's how his body processes excessive alcohol intake. Mine doesn't process it very well, lacking certain key enzymes. But his genetic makeup includes a lot of northern European stock, known for high alcohol intake and tolerance. 

Not long after that heated "discussion," he tossed all his synthetic polo shirts because they seem to make body odor worse. (I had that same problem with some sports hoodies that not only weren't absorbent but stank even after laundering. No amount of detergent could make the hoodies smell fresh.) He also stopped drinking. I don't know how long this will last but staying sober makes him so much easier to deal with. This means I'm not angry with him all the time. He might also be seeing better results from his keto-dieting efforts. 

Of course, I still want to have an adult beverage every now and then, but I'm fearful of stoking envy or a relapse due to "nostalgia" on his part. I find myself in the ironic position of hiding alcoholic beverages just so I can have a hard cider or Campari & soda with dinner when he's not home. Sneaking around, like I'm the one with the problem.  


7 Aug 2023 11:12-12:38 pm
Rainy Monday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 30 + 5 (5570)
Distance: 2.83
Cal: 313
Avg Hr: 141, 173-79

   Skip HGPU 16 (FAN REPAIR LADDER NEXT TO STRETCH CAGE)

20 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
20 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 90s
Quick Child’s Pose
Sciatica Cat stretch 12
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga
Wall Squats 50s; 20s; 20s

   Skip HGPU 16 (occupied)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...