Monday, August 28, 2023

Monday After 18 Years

I've spent the last two days sorting through my son's room. After 18 years, my kid is away at college and it's just me and the dogs at home. Work is crazy for my hubs so he's was home only to help move our son into his dorm, and then he was back at work. Like a lot of my kid's friends' moms, I find myself cleaning and sorting. One bedroom down and the rest of the house to go. We all agree that there's something soothing about cleaning and organizing our kids' rooms, like that nesting phase pregnant women are fabled to succumb to by the third trimester. It happened to me and boy was I surprised to find myself scrubbing my son's room days before his birth.

I haven't been to the gym since last Tuesday; that's 5 days. Which means I have little expectations of anything good. So, I'm surprised when I squeak past 2.8 on the elliptical and get two sets of pull-ups. I even get 90 seconds for Wall Squats and truthfully, it wasn't bad. I probably could've gone longer, maybe even the full 2 minutes, but I was more concerned about getting that last set of pull-ups done. It's like I've been on a stressful vacation for the past 5 days...

I haven't been sleeping enough, staying up (unintentionally) until 1 AM and then waking between 5 and 7, which isn't enough rest. I even tried melatonin again, but it didn't prime me for bed at 11 like I'd hoped. Instead, I was groggy at 7:30 this morning and that's not at all what I want from a sleep aid. 

Insect bites on my thighs make me sensitive to chafing pants so I put on another pair of joggers I bought years ago and never wore (not black and not dog-hair resistant). They're loose in the thighs and don't need to be hemmed. And they have pockets, and an unfortunate shoelace string tie front that I tuck back into the waistband. It's fairly non-functional and I'm tempted to just yank it out completely. I have some new sport V-neck T-shirts. I don't usually wear T-shirts because my big arms can chafe with the armpit seams. But this fabric is soft enough and I like the burnout print. It was impossible to get V-necks sleeveless. The new tanks are crew necks and not my favorite. And I'll never wear turtlenecks, mock or otherwise, because they give me a strangling sensation.

Back at home, the house feels emptier even though it's the same: me and the dogs. I suspect the dogs expect my son to be coming home at any moment. The hubs will be home just for the weekend even though it'll be the Labor Day holiday, because there's deadlines to be met. I've been settling into this routine for a few weeks, anticipating these changes... I hate surprises. But maybe I'll take advantage of $5 Tuesday at the local cinema and take myself to see Oppenheimer after the gym tomorrow. Or maybe the Barbie movie. Or maybe both?

28 Aug 2023 10:56-12:40
Monday Same but Totally Different
(Testing new workout clothes again)

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 30 + 5 (5544)
Distance: 2.82
Cal: 312
Avg Hr: 142, 175-122

HGPU 15

20 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
20 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 90s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga
Wall Squats 90s

HGPU 15

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...