Thursday, June 15, 2023

So I Got the Shinges Vax

I got the Shingrix vax yesterday at CVS and boy is my shoulder sore. Still sore even today! I didn't have to make an appointment, and I didn't fill out any paperwork. I also didn't receive any paperwork afterward. No list of potential side effects, no info about the vaccine itself. So different from getting the flu shot! And the pharmacist who prepared and administered the shot was someone I'd never seen before. He reminded me of a shrunken, elderly Boyer Coe. Well, maybe it was just the hair: jet black and ill-fitting. If you're a bodybuilding aficionado, you know who Boyer Coe is.

I get to the gym later than usual today. There's no school due to the Regents Exam schedule so I don't have that same urgency. I cut my cardio shorter today and only get in a set of pull-ups and core. Oddly, both my delts are sore even though I only got the shot in my left arm.


And why did I get the shingles vaccine? Because I've had shingles twice before and the last time was so painful that I had trouble walking across the parking lot to the doctor's office. My immune system gets depleted by stress and lately I've been stressed with lots of ridiculous little things: our glass storm door had a pane shatter for no apparent reason. It was purchased back in 2016 at HD but they're out of stock for the part I need. I spent 3 hours cleaning up tiny bits of shattered glass out of the door threshold and there's a 1" gap of air space where the rolling panel doesn't quite reach the bottom of the door frame. So mosquitoes and moths and flies can still get inside.

The manufacturer of the door, Anderson, can ship me the correct panel but it might take 30 days. Ugh. I still need to get the bearing replaced on my car but how will I get the dogs to the park without a car? Our Student Orientation trip to Buffalo got extended so we can visit the Canadian side of Niagara Falls and theoretically, that's like a vacation. But I'm hesitant to plan travel because my husband's alcoholism makes him unpredictable, and a nightmare when he's on a bender. 

The dog wash place closed with a sign stating under new management and hopes to reopen next month. So, now the dog boarding place will bathe the dogs, at a much higher cost. I was hoping to bathe the pups myself before their annual exam and shots. And of course, one of my pups will require a needle biopsy of the growing bump on his shoulder and maybe the tiny one on his "wrist." Plus I have a consult with the gastroenterologist about my Cologuard test, which probably necessitates a colonoscopy. Ugh. And my son wants to get his under bite fixed, so now we have orthodontist appointments as well... 


Going to the gym is supposed to bring stress-relief. Mentally, it does. But physically, exercising a lot is so stressful to my body that my immune system breaks down. I've watched it happen before. Internalizing stress also means internal structures aren't happy. For no dietary reason, hemorrhoids are making themselves known. It's stress in spite of what everyone says online. It's not a lack of fiber. I had this happen to me right before my wedding as well. It's definitely stress...

15 June 2023
Shingrix Sore Shoulder Thursday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 20 + 5 (3912)
Distance: 2.00
Cal: 221
Avg Hr: 144, 176-92

HGPU 18

20 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
20 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...