Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Sciatica Makes A Comeback

I woke up yesterday to a bad case of sciatica after having spent a pleasant weekend not doing anything physically strenuous at all. Could this be a side effect from the Shingrix vaccine I got last Wednesday? Seems far-fetched. On the other hand, it's a vaccine that targets the virus living in nerve cells, and sciatica is inflammation of the biggest bundle of nerves. While this is probably unlikely, it might still be possible. The hemorrhoids, however, are definitely due to stress, regardless of what's published online.

I had a disappointing visit to my glaucoma doc on top of the discomfort of driving with an inflamed right sciatic nerve. While my vision is still 20/20, and the VF tests show some progression in vision loss, the IOP readings were alarming. From a usual 13/14 points they've jumped to 16/17, an increase of 3-4 points in just a few months. The doc advised me that recent studies have shown blood flow to the eyes decreases during sleep at night and told me to ditch my elevated pillow. She'd like me to have high blood pressure to ensure proper oxygenation to the optic nerves. (My GP won't be happy to hear this.) She also wants my feet higher than my head at night, to increase perfusion. I think this is also going to increase my IOPs even more though!

So what's good for most of my body is having a detrimental effect on my eyes. I'm definitely cutting out the beet root drink mix. And now I have to consider nixxing the DB shoulder workout that I've really come to enjoy. Also, I'm scheduled for SLTs next month, so that makes 3 different variables that could account for lower IOPs the next time they get measured, ostensibly, in 3 months. Ugh. Maybe I'll keep the DB Shoulder and just stop drinking the beet root since I'm going to have SLT done anyway?

Today I do a quick 25 minute cardio session and just core in the Aerobics Room. No one has turned the a/c on yet and I leave there almost as sweaty as I entered. "Bob Paris" grunts doing shoulder presses. He's wearing shorts and while he has nice calves, they're nowhere near as developed as the upper body/mirror muscles.

20 June 2023
Sciatica Tuesday
(is this a Shingrix reaction?)

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 20 + 5 (3926)
Distance: 2.00
Cal: 221
Avg Hr: 142, 184-124

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
20 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...