Wednesday, December 7, 2022

Warm and Dreary

Although I can't explain why or how my sciatica got woken up, I can say that keeping to the exercise routine and a few ibuprofens (and gabapentins) have helped a lot. I'm still having difficulty with mundane tasks like putting my shoes and socks on, but at least I can tolerate sitting in the car or in front of my computer. But only after the morning gym session, not before! Waiting for the school bus (which is still running late because the regular driver is out sick and the sub has been likened to Jim Ignatowski from Taxi) is agonizing, with me waving my right foot to keep the numbness and throbbing at bay.


Temps has risen to the mid-50s but I still keep my hoodie on throughout most of the workout. Cardio is hard today because the glute hurts and that's very distracting. However, I can actually feel the muscles warm and notice the moment that the pain dissipates. The muscle itself feels flush with blood. I've never been cognizant of that before. All this focusing does little for my mileage though. I don't even make it to 2.8. However, I'm warmed up enough to do a decent set of pull-ups before heading to the Aerobics Room.

The room is set up for Boot Camp with battle ropes, barbells, kettle bells and Bosu balls strategically stationed. I think it's a very popular class but I don't stick around to find out. Instead, I attempt another set of pull-ups. These feel a lot harder because I'm fresh off the Step Mill. Just 10 minutes on the Step Mill but with some "singing and dancing." Kidding. Or not. There are fewer people here today. No B. No Tank. But BizCut is here as well as the Seniors, and a few young women.

Standing is more comfortable than sitting. Walking is even better. Pups go to the park and meet up with a few canine friends. I spend the entire 90 minutes standing or trudging through the wood chips and crumbled leaves. Hopefully, whatever's inflamed manages to calm down because sciatica sucks.

7 December 2022
Dreary Sciatic Wednesday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30 + 5 (5454)
Distance: 2.79
Cal: 308
Avg Hr: 132, 180-73

HGPU 23

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga (sitting is problem)

StepMill (L)
Manual 10 min
Speed 6 (52-55)
Steps 537
Floors 33
Cal 78
Hr 140 / 122

HGPU 21


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...