Monday, December 19, 2022

Faded Vision and Ingrown Lashes

Macular wrinkle (not mine)
I did the bare minimum at the gym today to give myself enough time to shop, take the dogs to the park and then feed them, then make my way to my eye doc appointment on the other side of the county. Since the pups are picky, I can't just empty a can of food and plop bowls on the ground. The food will just sit there and it'll be a total waste. Nope, these spoiled fur babies want to be hand fed. They'll sit patiently on the sofa or in the big bay window taking turns being given an individual lump of pate or loaf style canine delight. Which takes time. Otherwise, they'll just sit listlessly and act like finicky cats. Even though they're hungry.

My appointment is a follow-up to the Visual Field tests done in September. But then I mention the annoyance of having something tiny in my left eye most of the time. And that my vision sometimes feels faded. My vision itself is fine at 20/20 and 20/25, like it's always been. The techs take a lot of different types of pictures and administer a lot of different eye drops. While the IOPs are okay, not great at 14 & 15, there's a wrinkle on my left macula. What? And about that itching? I have what my dad had: eyelashes growing into the eye instead of away from. Ugh. The doc takes tiny tweezers and yanks 3-4 of the thickest lashes out of the corner of my left eye. Well, that's better!

But there's nothing to be done about the macular except to keep an eye on it. It has a film on it, a layer of fibrous tissue that is unlikely to shrink but might grow. It can cause distortions in vision and is also known as a macular pucker. That sounds so benign. The doc gives me a piece of paper with a grid on it and a small dot in the center (Amsler grid). She tells me to check my vision once a week and if any of the squares look distorted or disappear, schedule an appointment right away. Otherwise, I have another follow-up in three months. 

Going home, traffic is much worse and true to the saying that "no good deed goes unpunished," I let an asshole into my lane in front of me. This person then proceeds to drive like a proper ass. It's bumper to bumper traffic and they can't keep up with the car in front of them. I don't know what they're doing in the car but it's not driving. When they finally exit with a right turn, they have to swing their compact Hyundai Sonata into the oncoming lane as if they're navigating a land yacht. I fantasize about following them and stabbing one of their tires, but of course, I don't. I just go home. But it's too late to haul firewood into the house. I have two nice pieces of wood so I can build a decent fire but it's only going to last an hour or two...

19 December 2022
Frigid Sciatic Monday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 3
Time: 30 + 5 (5514)
Distance: 2.81
Cal: 311
Avg Hr: 138, 192-77

HGPU 23

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Side bridge planks 10 each side
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga (kneeling)

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...