Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Frosty Winter Solstice

The radio says that the Winter Solstice will occur at 4:48 this afternoon. I'm not sure what that really means, since sunset is 4:29 today. Except that it's really cold and it gets dark quickly. But that also means the days will start lengthening again, so Yaaay. Winter Storm Elliot is wreaking havoc in the MidWest but promises us only rain and warmer temps in the 50s. Then temps plunge into the single digits for a frigid holiday weekend. 

We made reservations for Christmas Eve dinner, something we've never done before but local eateries are all advertising that they're open. Of course, there were few slots left by the time I booked. Most offered 2 seats indoors but 3 seats outdoors. Outdoors? In 9F? I think not, even with the best propane heaters. We get dinner reservations for 8 pm, a tad later than we'd prefer and hopefully, they won't have sold out of everything. My husband has remained sober for the past two weeks and I'm cautiously optimistic.

The gym is reasonably crowded and I get on the elliptical, thankful that I haven't seen Lazy Pedals all week. After pull-ups, I enter the Aerobics Room and am surprised not to see any equipment set up for the midweek Boot Camp class. Twenty minutes later, I wander into the free weight area to do the DB shoulder routine. Gym Owner is wrestling with one of the inclined breaker benches, flipping it over to dissemble and make repairs. Luckily there are two more and I can use an adjacent one. One of the regulars, M, comes over to give Gym Owner a hand. 

After a few minutes, a gal from the front desk fetches Gym Owner and I hear a lot of yelling by the entrance. Meanwhile, I've added the DB Inclined Press back into the mix, careful not to put too much pressure on my glutes. The worst offender of sciatic aggravation appears to be the tricep-stretching Rip Skulls. I haven't found a replacement for those yet and Skull Crushers will eventually injure my elbows if I add too many sets.

I only figure out what's happening up front on when I ascend the Step Mill and see a dozen people in the Functional Gym space where Boot Camp is being held today. Glad I'm not in the middle of that! In the locker room, I'm pleased to note that I still have biceps even though the only bicep exercise I do are those infrequent pull-ups. My left one is noticeably bigger than my right even though I'm stronger on my right side. 

An explanation might be that the left must work harder because it's weaker, so it gets more relative stimulation leading to a size increase. My left calf is bigger than my right as well. But I'm definitely right-footed (lead with my right), and based on how frustrating my pants leg lengths are, I believe my right leg is slightly longer. I'm not symmetrical by a long shot. 

I've also decided that I've probably had that macula film for a long time: I've been complaining for years about how the left eye sees "white" with a pinkish tint to it, especially noticeable when I'm doing the Eye Chart. Except that now it's more than the color that's off; there's also a multi-color granulated texture (similar to viewing a newspaper's color photograph through a magnifier) to the "white" field when I'm trying to determine what tiny letters I'm looking at. It makes discerning the characters much harder... 

21 December 2022
Frigid Solstice Wednesday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 30 + 5 (5666)
Distance: 2.86
Cal: 319
Avg Hr: 140, 191-87

HGPU 23

Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Side bridge planks 10 each side
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

Incl DB Press s/s Lateral Raises s/s Rev Incline Flys
10 lbs x 25/15/25 warm up
15 lbs x 25/15/25
20/15/20 x 25/15/25 x 3 sets

StepMill (L)
Manual 10 min
Speed 6 (52-60)
Steps 535
Floors 33
Cal 78
Hr 112

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...