Friday, December 9, 2022

Fattening Seeds

Ever since I remembered that I had a big (3 lbs) bag of chia seeds in my fridge, I've been adding a 2/3 serving to my oatmeal for my midday meal. A serving is three tablespoons and 150 calories, which isn't a lot considering the added benefits of fiber and protein. As the chia seeds swell, they increase in bulk and I feel like I'm eating a lot more. But it doesn't keep me full. And I've been putting on weight ever since I started adding them. Fearful of popping right out of any comfortable clothes I have, I've decided to stop. At least until I can drop those pesky few pounds and not worry about needing to buy clothes in a larger size! 

Not eating a midday meal would also work, but then I worry about my triglyceride and LDL levels during my annual exam, which will be in the next month or so. Oatmeal keeps the doctor from prescribing things like statins. Things that I'm trying to avoid. No one else in my household eats oatmeal so lunch is the only time it's reasonable!

The past two days have been mild (mid 50s) and the cold rash has receded. Of course, today temps never warmed past 37F so that reprieve was short-lived. Never mind that my parkas come past the section of my legs where the rash manifests itself. Although not actually exposed to frigid temps, the skin there is reacting to the cold. So weird.

There's less people at the gym today. I suspect they either came and left early or took the day for a long weekend of frantic holiday shopping. People have menus to plan. (I guess we should think about what to make for Christmas Eve supper and Christmas dinner?) Cardio gets me warm and I'm satisfied with my efforts. Pull-ups are easy for the first dozen but as usual, become increasingly more difficult. The Aerobics Room is unnervingly empty although the holiday lights are sparkly and bright at the top of the mirrored walls. 

Today I can feel the lower abs flex just above the extended leg during the few Curl Ups that I do. I guess they do work different muscles after all! However, I'm doing them wrong so I'll try again next week. I thought an arm was placed under the head while curling up. Nope. Hands are placed at the small of the back, and the curl up movement is very small, with the head, neck and upper body moving as one single unit. I'm not sure I want to replace the crunches and dead bugs though... I just want the sciatica to go into remission. 

I'm also rethinking the air squats: they don't hurt when I do them but are they making everything worse or delaying my recovery? No consistent answers to be found... I skip the second set of pull-ups in favor of 10 minutes on the Step Mill. It warms me up again just as I'm ready to shower and change.

9 December 2022
Frigid Sciatic Friday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 2
Time: 30 + 5 (5624)
Distance: 2.85
Cal: 317
Avg Hr: 147, 186-90

HGPU 23

Curl Ups 10 each side
Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12x
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga (kneeling)

StepMill (L)
Manual 10 min
Speed 6 (52-55)
Steps 527
Floors 32
Cal 77
Hr 136

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...