Friday, November 22, 2019

Tunnel Vision is Another Word for Focus

A friend of mine told me that her hairdresser saw me at the gym and said Hello but that I ignored her. Apparently, she goes to my gym. A lot. I told my friend that if I have my earbuds in, then I'm fairly oblivious to people. I look just enough to avoid walking into them, but otherwise, my mind is focused on getting my workout done.

My friend also suggested that out of context I probably didn't recognize the hairdresser anyway. (I've only met this hairdresser person once before while meeting up with my friend for coffee.) Valid point, but honestly, even people I know only from the gym (no context problem there) will have to get right in my face or tap my arm just to say Hello. Because once I'm in workout mode, that's all I focus on.

Unlike a lot of gym members, I don't go to socialize or meet up with friends. I certainly don't hang out drinking coffee and reading the newspaper by the front desk. It's a type of tunnel vision that I'm not going to apologize for even though B would say it's rude not to greet people. To be brutally honest, chatting just eats into my workout time, and it's annoying enough to cool down between sets as it is. You can talk to me in the locker room, or as I'm leaving. I'm perfectly social once I'm done.

You probably can't talk to me outside the gym unless I already know you though, because that's just weird and creepy. I like seeing regulars like Maroon at the gym because there's comfort in seeing familiar faces even if I don't interact with them. People don't understand that it's not necessary to actually engage with people just to appreciate their presence. It's like a nature hike. You don't have to make your mark, or take away anything for a souvenir other than the experience.

Pre-Turkey Cardio Friday
30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.92
Calories 328
HR 146-196 (106, 91, 81, 88)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 25

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches 60/60
Leg horizontal scissors 60
Bicycles 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

20 Step Mill
Level 4
Calories 131
Total steps 862
Floors 53
HR 128

HGPU 26

15 Octane + 2cd
Program manual lateral 3
Floors 36
Calories 112
Miles 1.12
HR 129-155 (54, 72, 93)
Numb feet!
2:1 Seated Leg Curls
15lbs x 15
30 x 12
35 x 12
40 x 12

HGPU 26

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...