Wednesday, November 20, 2019

Base Coat Layer

I'm not happy about averaging less than 6 hours of sleep each night, but there's little that will change other than me constantly trying to hit bedtime at a reasonable hour. I skipped the gym yesterday so I absolutely have to go today. Once on the elliptical, I feel as if I've never done cardio before in my entire life. Yes, that's how tired and out-of-shape I feel. Afterward, even though my right forearm is a tad sore, I'm still able to muscle through my pullups.

Other than a slight discomfort in my lower back that makes me super cautious at the Smith doing RDLs, I feel fairly normal. Which means I'm able to pull all my weights. Granted, I'm mostly only performing each exercise once a week, except for shoulders. I've pulled back on my workouts from doing each body part twice weekly because I'm prone to injuring my tiny shallow joints through overuse. Happily, I seem able to maintain my strength and size in spite of this unconventional routine. I credit muscle memory for creating that critical base coat. Am I thinking in painting metaphors because the gym is still half-painted? Afraid so...

For years I was under the delusion that the human body replaced itself every 7 years because that's what we've all been taught. Except that's just an average since some cells only live a few days, and others, like specialized muscles of the heart, appear to have a lifespan of 40 years. (What happens after 40 years!?) Skeletal muscles, like those attached to our arms and legs, have a shorter span at 15 years. That doesn't explain how you can maintain muscle mass for more than 20 years. Muscles retain their "memory" for size and strength because the extra nuclei gained from satellite cells during exercise are stored when the muscles are dormant. You exercise again and the cells enlist all their stored nuclei to answer the call for more power and strength.

Fine. But if muscle turnover is every 15 years, then working out when I'm in my 20s wouldn't promise muscle retention when I'm in my 50s. Should we assume children and teenagers grow muscle cells and adults do not except every 15 years? What about the scientists who state muscle memory might be forever? I'm missing Step 2 here, specifically how this muscle memory is passed on to, I'm assuming, newer cells. Anyone else or am I the only one having a problem with this? Or maybe that's why we can't really build new muscle in middle-age? (Forget about seniors! When does that age start anyway? If I listened to AARP, I would've been classified as a Senior Citizen nine years ago!)

The painters haven't completely covered the dark orange paint that matches the vinyl backing of some of the free weight stations. I'm surprised to see a dark slate gray paint being applied to the far wall, covering what seems to be a light gray base coat. It kind of matches the Gold's Gym logo color scheme so I wonder if this is the intent.

I'm almost cold when I finish my last sets. Thank goodness I can get on an elliptical and warm up again. The stretch area is littered with ladders and drop cloths so I drag a foam mat to the CF area. Not ideal but at least I can do my cool down before showering. I pass two of the younger women regulars and give a quick glance, maybe a nod. What I see in their faces is... respect. I'm happy.

Frigid Dry Wednesday Pull

30 elliptical + 5cd
Program 2
Miles 2.86
Calories 318
HR 159-194 (117)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 25

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Horizontal Scissors 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith RDL
Bar (30) x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12
110 x 12

Smith RG BB Rows
80 x 25 x 3

Seated Cable Rows
70 x 12
77.5 x 12
85 x 12
90 x 12
95 x 12
100 x 12

RG BB Curls
40 lbs x 25 reps x 3 sets

20 elliptical + 5cd
Program 2
Miles 2.11
Calories 238
HR 152-188 (95, 81)

HGPU 25

Quick Mat Stretch


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...