Thursday, November 21, 2019

Stressing Those Satellites

Lately the program I hate the most has been Intervals, probably because it's difficult. I could make it easier. All I'd have to do is pedal slower. But it wouldn't be much of a cardio exercise if I was pacing with snails and turtles. I stopped doing the Norwegian 4 x 4s for now because I'm a bit freaked out by the toll that's taking on my toes. I'm inordinately sensitive to pressure injuries, and pedaling really fast on the elliptical seems to damage the nail bed.

The big toe on my left foot has developed a bizarre thickening which I attribute to pressure damage. It doesn't appear to be fungal or anything else. And I have noticed how hard I press into the front of my feet when I'm accelerating. Just ask race walkers how their big toes fare, and if they still have toenails. Meanwhile, yes, I'm incredibly stressed out about the upcoming toenail biopsy in December.

I have to postpone doing Cage Stretches until after core abdominals because I'm a tad late and Snow Bird is already doing his myriad movements. It keeps him limber and he's got be at least 80 years old! No pull-ups today. Those were yesterday and tomorrow. Instead, I break out my green stretchy silicone band and do a set of band pulls. Then off to the DB area where I grab tiny little 5 lb DBs and do three sets of the T, Y & I Raises on an inclined bench.

Meanwhile, the painters are covering the far wall with that dark gray paint. It's surreal how the light changes depending on what color you stand next to. Today is Shoulder Oblivion Day so I do multiple sets of Lateral Raises and Reverse Inclined Flys. It didn't seem productive to struggle with laterals at 25 lbs so I dropped those in favor of keeping the 20s throughout the workout.

However, the rear delts and all their accompanying minor members seem able to handle not only the 5 lb increase but the high reps as well. Not that I don't feel it. I definitely feel it at the end.

I'm not content to end the workout there. Just for kicks, I grab the V-bar handle and do a few light sets of Tricep Press Downs at the Cable Station. Then back to the elliptical for 20 minutes of Program 3. If I thought Intervals was hard this morning, then I shouldn't be surprised at how much I'm dragging my butt for the first 10 minutes here. And after 25 minutes, I'm not tired. Surprise!

The question of muscle growth and renewal still nags at me so I do more research to find out just how muscles grow. They can't actually divide and create new muscles. Some are probably created from the body's stem cells. Others seem to originate from the satellite cells that surround muscle fibers. Satellite cells can actually replicate themselves and are enlisted by existing muscle cells in order to gain size and strength.

Tests on whether the elderly can increase strength by resistance training show that those who already have muscles (from previous years of activity) even if those muscles are weak and enervated show a greater increase in strength than those who had little muscle to begin with. Well, duh. Did somebody mention muscle memory here?

The trick is to build up muscles while you can so that even if you need to take a hiatus you can still regain much of what was lost. Granted, a lot depends on your genetics, nutrition and training routine, but it is possible to stay decently muscled into your "golden years." Wow, I hate that term.

Activating those satellite cells is key. In a 2008 study, hard-gainers showed no activation while others who are more blessed showed activation of over 20%. And we all know what activation means: a training routine that creates enough muscular stress aka cellular damage for satellite cells to respond. Time over tension, go heavy enough, get that pump! But you also need to feed and rest them. It's what gym rats have known all along.


Sunny Thursday Shoulders Plus

30 + 5 cd elliptical
Program Intervals
Miles 2.90
Calories 325
HR 147-203 (101, 93)

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches 60/60
Horizontal Scissors 60
Bicycles 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Cage Stretch
Mid-Band Pulls 15
High-Band Pulls 15

T, Y & I Raises Inclined Bench
5 lbs x 15 reps x 3 sets

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flys
20 lbs x 12/20 reps x 3 sets
20/25 lbs x 12/20 reps x 3 sets

V-bar Tricep Press Down
20 lbs x 12
30 x 12
40 x 12

20 elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.06
Calories 231
HR 146-194 (130)

Quick Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...