Friday, May 24, 2019

When Drenched Feels Refreshed

The muscles over my hips, surrounding my lower back and abdomen are sore. I've never felt that before. At first, I thought it was from walking around with an unstructured backpack laden with water bottles and an umbrella. But later, I realized it was from the Mat Stretch. While the actual movement is to stretch the shoulders and surrounding muscles, the torso is also twisted and involved involuntarily. I've done this stretch countless times but it's never resulted in soreness before. But I have been more exuberant with this stretch lately.

from Skimm.com
You sit on the floor with your legs spread out wide and straight. Then you bend yourself over each leg while reaching the opposite hand past your foot. So you are bent over your left leg and your right arm stretched out with your right hand reaching past your left ankle. Inch your left leg further left. You feel the stretch in your right shoulder and lat. Perhaps even your right hip and the abdominal obliques. I do it to keep my shoulders from knotting up under the blades. The illustration at right shows the beginning form of the stretch.

I skip HIIT cardio and do Program 1 on the elliptical. I feel it's a better warmup today for my sore body. Pull-ups and pushups aren't a problem. The core exercises are always bracing. I feel much better now and my torso doesn't hurt anymore. When I start walking up the StepMill, I've cooled down. By minute 11, I've worked up a substantial sweat. Back at the Stretch Cage for another set of pull-ups and I've cooled down again. The cross-trainer is more work, but I'm enjoying the challenge of keeping a brisk pace.

Today's workout is a series of alternating drenchings and cooldowns. I've inhaled sweat up my nose so I feel slightly drowned. At the end of the workout, my torso isn't stiff or painful and everything feels really good. It's a great way to end the week.

Pre-Memorial Day Cardio Friday

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Miles 2.93
Calories 330
HR 150-195 (87)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 23

Push Ups 60
Crunches 30/40
Leg horizontal scissors 50
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

20 Step Mill
Level 3
Calories 115
Total steps 732
Floors 45
HR 134

HGPU 22

15 Cross Trainer+3cd
Manual 1
Calories 145
Miles 2.25
HR 145-168

HGPU 22

Walking Lunges
31+30=61

2:1 Lying Leg Curls
30lbs x 8, 8, 8

Push-ups 50
Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...