Wednesday, May 15, 2019

The Body on Sleep Deprivation

Rested sleep cycle
I've posted in the past about rather decent workouts performed after a less than optimal sleep duration. This isn't going to be one of them. Due to an end-of-the-school-year rush to complete projects, my son has been staying up late with homework assignments. Part of the problem is that our school district gave back two unused snow days and added them to the long Memorial Day weekend. While this seems like a happy bonus, what it does is cause teachers to shorten the lead time they originally gave to their students to finish large projects. A two-day give back has cost my son and his peers an entire week. For the past two nights, he's been up past midnight, and me along with him.

Not enough sleep
I skipped the gym yesterday but there's no skipping today. Normally, when I complain about a lack of sleep, I'm talking about getting a little over six hours instead of the optimal seven to eight. This is the second night in a row that neither of us is getting fully rested. Last night I got a bit over five. And I'm feeling it today. When I look at the Sleep App on my phone, I can see what a normal night's sleep looks like and compare it to last night. Instead of regular cycles of peaks and valleys signifying different sleep phases, I see just low flatness, indicating deep sleep and nothing else. Deep sleep is the phase the body uses for recovery and it precedes REM sleep, which the brain needs for processing and memory retention. There's deep sleep but very little REM. Still, it's better than the opposite--light, non-restful sleep--which is a problem for many older adults.

At least it's not raining anymore. I do my HIIT cardio. It's not horrible. I can't get on the Stretch Cage because there's a newbie woman trying to figure out her moves inside it. I proceed directly to pushups and core. The plan is to circle back around later to the things I've missed. I haven't done Inclined Benching in two weeks and I'm surprised at how hard this feels. Part of this is due to the fact I've adjusted the bench more upright (30 degrees instead of 60). And part of it is that I'm tired. Well, not actually tired, just weak. Ugh. I'm having to exert a lot more effort at something I know isn't that hard.

Sleep deprivation has been cited as a cause for increased inflammation, decreased hormone production (for muscle-building testosterone, growth hormones for tissue repair, etc.), increased metabolism (which explains why tired means hungry), increased pain sensitivity, slower recovery time, less accuracy and eventually, less motivation. Honestly, when you're tired you just don't want to do anything. Except maybe go back to bed and pull the covers over your head. (I know it's going to have an effect on my immune system, so when I get home I'm going to eat some crushed raw garlic on toast as a precaution.)

I'm wondering if not doing the Stretch Cage and pull-ups will have repercussions since those moves are a type of upper body warm up. A quick glance at the DB area shows me that there are three flat benches and one adjustable inclined bench already in use. Which means I'll just stay put at the Smith to use the bench I'm already occupying. I feel a tad guilty since I'm not actually using the Smith itself, but no one seems to be waiting for it. Briefly, I toy with the idea of using 25 lb DBs, but concede to fears of possible injury and stick to 20s. I can do 25s next week. In reality, the 20s aren't too bad and I chide myself for not using the 25s. Still, there's next week.

It's when I'm lying on the bench with a 40 lb BB straight up and hear a weird crackling sound as my arms sweep over my head and down behind that I worry about inexplicably nasty gym injuries. Part of me curses myself for not doing the Cage Stretch and pull-ups earlier. Another part of me is trying to reassure myself that crackling sounds are not as bad as a loud pop or twang. Right after this first set of Rip Skulls, my upper back feels tight and achy and on the verge of spasming. Ugh. I swear it's the sleep deprivation. I'm hesitant to do another set but convince myself that it'll be okay. It's okay. However, my elbows are complaining so I cut my third set short with just eight reps.

Under normal circumstances, I'd consider myself done. But I'd like to be a lot warmer before I attempt pull-ups, so I get on the elliptical for 20 minutes. A lot of colleges have let out for the year, and there are suddenly a lot of young, unfamiliar faces on the equipment, all busy chatting with each other as they pedal, row or jog. I turn up the volume on my tunes. A second round of cardio doesn't make pull-ups any easier, but I'm in less danger of straining a muscle or tendon now. The Mat Stretch is where I cool down. My back doesn't hurt, but I'm still worried about crunchy sounds. I really need more sleep.

Humpday Sunny Day Push

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 292
Miles 2.68
HR 149-205 (107)

Push Ups 60
Crunches 30/50
Scissors 50
Bicycles 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith Incline Press
(30 degrees)
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12
90 x 12, 12, 12 really hard!
65 x 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20 lbs x 12/15 reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
(Weird crackling neck/shoulder)
40 lbs x 12, 12, 8

20 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Miles 2.07
Calories 232
HR 147-191 (107, 94)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 20

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...