Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Just A Little Burnt

My family went on the annual unofficial Scout troop whitewater rafting trip this past weekend which involved camping for two nights in a state park. Since there's been a lot of rain, there were a lot of bugs. I wore long sleeves most of the time, except when I was on the raft. I should've put on a rashguard but I didn't like the fit of the ones I had and I forgot to put on sunscreen. So I got burned.

And while I was paddling, I got an abrasion on my hand from rubbing against the cord that rings the raft. And I got a split lip from an unfortunate collision with a water pump pistol as we were bailing out the raft. Thank goodness it wasn't an oar or I might've lost some teeth! But at least I didn't fall out of the boat like a few others did.

It was hot and sunny. And halfway down the river full of rapids, it poured on us. We always have a good time but this year we invited some friends who have never been quite this adventurous. (Their version of camping involves indoor plumbing and heated showers.) I'm afraid they won't be back because this was too strenuous for them. My hubs tells me that next time he needs to hit the gym for at least two months before this trip in order to be in better shape. I'm happy that my stamina didn't let me down. Whitewater rafting involves a lot of core, arms, shoulders, and mountains of endurance.

The gym seemed emptier than usual, but the regulars were still there. HIIT cardio didn't make me as tired as working all day yesterday. Granted, yesterday's work (fairly mindless and somewhat physical as a home staging assistant) isn't regular work but it pays well at the end of the day when it happens. I manage to get 23 hammer grip pull-ups before my right elbow complains. Pushups, crunches and basic core work all fine. The Smith is empty and I suspect that Loud Goatee is on vacation. Is today a pull or push day? I only have today, tomorrow and Friday so I decide just to do the things I like. Push Day it is! I admit that I'm really starting to dislike doing RDLs, and not just because I'm worried about my glaucoma. Issues with my knees, lower back, and elbows also play into this.

The Inclined Press was much easier today because on the Smith I can revert to the thumbless grip. The DB supersets gave me pause. Warmed up with the 20s and then did the next three sets with the 25s. Those were hard but not impossible. However, with Rip Skulls, I always think I'm going to drop the bar on my head by the last two reps of the last set. I've cooled down considerably though, so getting back on the elliptical for 20 minutes seems like a good idea before stretching. The classroom was vacant and there were two people in the other stretch area, so I used the classroom. And then I remembered to try to take a photo of the hip, torso, and shoulder stretch I mentioned in my last post.
Left arm over right ankle with legs wide open

Humid Humpday Wednesday Push

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 298
Miles 2.71
HR 134-205 (107, 86, 97, 117)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 23

Push Ups 60
Crunches Legs Up 40
Bicycles 50
Crunches knees bent 60
Horizontal Scissors 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Press 60
Bar x15
50 x 12
70 x 12
90 x 12, 12, 12
65 x 25

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20 lbs x 12/15 reps
25 x 8/15 x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
40 lbs x 12, 12, 12

20 elliptical + 5cd
Program 2
Miles 2.08
Calories 232
HR 142-180 (123)

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...