Friday, May 10, 2019

Tailgating is Not Okay

Today, I replaced Cardio Plus Friday with Whack the Machine Day. One machine still works so I figure I'd get my licks in while I could. It's been about three weeks since my last bout with the finicky equipment. The left machine is still down, due to a dead screen, and the right one still has a dead sensor in the Power Dig, and occasionally the screen goes black for several seconds. At least I didn't get any Hitting Too Hard Warnings.

I felt pretty good after all 15 rounds, and once I unwrapped my hands, I managed to get a set of pull-ups. Granted, I was so tired that the last few reps were a bit of a struggle. I also did some stretching because lately, my left shoulder has been knotting up. It's very unpleasant. I had a bunch of errands to do afterward so I drank my max-protein Ensure in the car with vitamins. I was excited to find a new flavor, Mixed Berry, offered in the 30-grams of protein beverage. (I'm liking the grocery store expansion because it means more room for more diverse products and a better variety of flavors!)

What I don't like are weirdos who don't understand basic etiquette. There's grocery-store etiquette, such as no suddenly stopping with your cart in an aisle; pull over to the side like you would do with a car. And no tailgating, not with your cart or while you are in line waiting for the cashier. A few days ago, a guy (probably my age) got in line behind me. He had a few items in his cart. There were other checkout lines available. He might be someone who goes to my gym, but I don't know him, and I don't really care.

I wait until the lady in front of me got her groceries all scanned and into the bagging area before I put my groceries on the conveyor. The guy starts putting his groceries on the conveyor as well. What a jerk. I toss the plastic divider bar on the conveyor but I'm not done unloading my cart. He's supposed to wait until I'm done. Instead, I'm forced to literally throw his items back at him. I'm really irritated because he's crowding me for no apparent reason. I'm a native New Yorker; we like our personal space. He says, "Thank you" when I move his groceries back. I just glare at him because if I were to speak, nothing civil would come out of my mouth.

A few days later, I'm putting things in my car and I notice another car the same color and model as mine, but a few spaces over. I'm focused on rearranging items in a shopping bag when I hear someone call out, "Good morning." What? At first, I don't look up because I don't think anyone is talking to me, especially from a distance. He persists and says a few other things that don't quite register with me. It's that same jerk from the supermarket. Ugh. I'm not friendly to people who accost me in parking lots, especially strange men who might know me from the gym. My hostility is automatic. Given the choice between Fight or Flight, I go into Rage mode. It's just the way I am. You just can't take the City out of the gal. It's a good thing I spent today wailing on the kickboxing machine.

Whacking Friday

10 min x-trainer
Calories 95
Miles 0.84
HR 153-183 (86)

T, Y & I Raises
5lbs x 15 x 2

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

Nexersys FM
Beginner 7r
Intermediate 5r
Advance 3r

Cage Stretch
HGPU 22

Quick Mat Stretch



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...