Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Just Squeaking By


My son was quite disappointed in the new action spy flick The Man From UNCLE, but he doesn't have the benefit of historical memory, nor has he ever watched the original TV shows. Still, although I enjoyed this movie, it wasn't as exciting as Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, or even Jurassic World. If Antman is still playing next week, perhaps I'll convince my son to revisit that or Shaun The Sheep again. What was a bit disturbing was how similar the latest Napoleon Solo (played dashingly by Henry Cavill) was to Neal Caffrey of White Collar. Yes, a lot less Robert Vaughn and more Matt Bomer. Of course, I liked the new Ilya Kuryakin, played by Armie Hammer as I was never much of a Beatles fan (yes, a reference to David McCallum's popularity at the time).

In order to see the 11:00 show, we had to get to the gym at 9 am. We got there at 9:10 which was plenty early. Still, it was a mad rush for me to get everything done: an hour of cardio on two different machines, and some core/ab work. The new A/C has not been installed yet. But the gym is certainly cool enough when I start. Today, I am uncharacteristically not wearing my blue hoodie, so it takes me a good 20 minutes before I feel even vaguely warm. Perhaps that is a good thing because I do make great mileage.

The Torso Twist is a boring machine, but it's either that or doing side-bends with a plate. And I don't really want to be wrestling plates. Crunches and scissors go fast enough. Even the planks go awfully fast. I do variations for each set and end with the bird dog, but on a bent knee. Next time I'll try doing it with a straight lower leg. (Set 1: 30 sec full; 30 sec elbow; 30 s full. Set 2: 30 sec full; 30 sec full left leg up; 30 sec full right leg up. Set 3: 30 sec full; 30 sec left arm & right leg up; 30 sec right arm and left leg up.)

I do admit to wasting a few minutes catching up with R. His wife was scheduled to have a C-section over a week ago and I wanted to ask how everything was. He shows me photos of his new daughter, and one of his 18 month old son cuddling her. His son is big, like a 4 year old, but of course, height runs in R's family. I tell him that I'm rushing through my workout because, "11 o'clock movie with my son".

Everything is good today, although I was hoping to do a bit more mileage on the Precor elliptical. Pedaling as fast as I can and I only log in 2.71 miles. That's a bit disappointing. I realize that part of it is determined by what program I'm actually running: today is Performance Program #1. Usually I do Program #3. These programs have you move forward through various inclines for exactly one quarter of the program. Halfway through you pedal backwards. Then forward. For the final leg you're pedaling backwards. There are three performance programs, with three different "courses". The online Precor manual calls them cross-training programs. I think #3 is the hardest, but perhaps I'm wrong. Perhaps it's #1!

Core and Cardio Workout
(7.04 miles total)

Steady State
Calorie :   145 CAL
Distance: 4.33 mile
Speed :    8.65 mph
Duration : 00:30:03

Set 1 : 50x25
Set 2 : 50x25
Set 1 : 00:01:30
Set 2 : 00:01:30
Set 3 : 00:01:31
Crunches : 25 Lap/Rep
Scissors : 50 Lap/Rep
Crunches: 25 Lap/Rep
Perf Prgm #1
Calorie :   313 CAL
Distance: 2.71 mile
Duration : 00:30:03

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...