Monday, August 31, 2015

Give And Take

Today
Sometimes it's all about the first move. Running up or dancing up the Step Mill. Level 8 isn't really fast enough. Did the caffeine just kick in? Maybe it's because even though I've been ferrying my son from play date to play date, I've been physically inactive all weekend. I've only had a cup of instant espresso this morning, and we get to the gym late. Maybe it's because I'm not wearing a hoodie and the gym is still fairly cool? 15 minutes on the Step Mill barely gets me warm but at least I'm not horribly worried when I approach the Stretch Cage for my first set of hammer grip pull ups.

I do the same types of push ups as last Friday, but I add reps to the first (and easiest) set because it's just regular push ups. 60 reps. I look up and catch sight of a guy smiling in an embarrassed way and shaking his head. I get the impression that he's also somewhat shyly infatuated from the way he tries to glance over without staring. And I'm so not even vaguely tempted to talk to him or anyone else who seems to hang with The Mayor. Skinny, tall, balding, bad teeth, and not much to look at physique-wise. Nope. I wonder how many push ups he can do.

The Diamond Push Ups are still hard on the wrists and forearms, but my joints are okay. I take my time, counting. The Dand (Hindu) Push Ups are more difficult than they look, but I can make it to 25. In between I do two sets of planks, but I'm only able to do 25 crunches. My abs are kind of shot by this point! Lower ab scissors are easy though. The last set of push ups are Side To Side, and I can do them, but my right elbow's not happy. I don't want to substitute Dive Bomber Push Ups because those are hard on the shoulders. I wonder if I can do any One-Arm Push Ups and how hard they'll be on my joints. I guess there's no way to know until I try!

I'm breathing hard when I get back to the Cardio Platform. I still want to do 30 min of cardio so I punch in Performance Program #2. I don't see the meek Mouse newbie but I see Shaggy. He's gotten more bold lately, chatting with Pear at a table while she waits for her husband, Einstein, a tall skinny man with glasses, mustache and a huge mop of unruly grey hair. Pear and Einstein are unfortunately the people I see performing ridiculous quarter reps at the bench. Shaggy looks like he's stalking prey, turning to intercept the bleached white haired girl with the violet over-rinse. She ignores him. I deftly step around him. He's still creepy. And desperate. Maybe he's got a wedding he needs a hot date for?

I see a young woman looking uncertain as she does a few bench dips with bent knees. She'd be better off with her legs straight out but she probably doesn't know if she's capable. And she's uncharacteristically alone. Most young women come to the gym with either their boyfriends or a gaggle of chatty girls for moral support. The truly dedicated ones come solo, with no distractions but perhaps, with a bit of fear. Because you never know what you're truly capable of until you try.

After cardio I do a set of pull ups, and then stretch at the Cage. Then added another set of hammer grip pull ups, but they're too close to the last set and my left elbow noticed. But I'm really happy that until that last set, I didn't feel my arms at all in the movement, which is as it should be. It should be back, lat and core. Today I manage to keep myself fairly straight as well, my body not swaying, and my knees not curled to my chest. Not sure if I'm getting stronger or just wearing myself out. Kidding.

Tomorrow I'm going to whack the machine again. And stretch my lower back.

Monday Body Weight Workout

Warm UP
Calorie :   133 CAL
Lap/Rep :  58 Lap/Rep
Duration : 00:15:00
156.8
Set 1 : 112x12
60
Set 1 : 60 Lap/Rep
N/A
Set 1 : 00:02:00
25
Set 1 : 25 Lap/Rep
25
Set 1 : 25 Lap/Rep
25
Set 1 : 25 Lap/Rep
Bird Dog
Set 1 : 00:02:00
20
Set 1 : 20 Lap/Rep
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
156.8
Set 1 : 112x12
Perf Prgm #2
Calorie :   304 CAL
Distance: 2.65 mile
Duration : 00:30:00
156.8
Set 1 : 112x12
Set 2 : 112x12

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...