Monday, August 17, 2015

Humidity is Not My Friend

Today's Selfie
Because I had an eye doc appt at 10:30 this morning, I didn't get to the gym until nearly noon. Suddenly the gym is crowded with teenage boys and I have no hope of getting on half the equipment I normally use on a Monday (Smith machine, Bench). After 10 minutes on the LifeFitness cross-trainer, I find myself wrestling with some DBs to do a few sets of DB Presses. Keeping my arms positioned in a normal press seems to spare my right shoulder. My shoulders don't like the "neutral" grip when I press. I'm not even moving that much weight, but since my legs are too short for my feet to sit flat on the ground, I'm not all that concerned. It's extra work just to stabilize my core.

Last week I had thought to try doing sets for reps of free benching with just 95 lbs, but today I can't even get on one of the three Matrix breaker benches. There are just too many guys here today. The few women are either in a class or cowering in a corner with little plastic Beauty Bells. Oh well. At least I can do my normal DB routine for delts. I hate it when guys do their DB routine right up against the DB rack so that no one else can get to the weights. I feel like saying, "What'sa matter? 'Fraid you can't move those weights back to the rack if you step back two feet?" But those would be kind of like "fighting words". Of course, when I lift, I'm not going to feign girly daintiness either.

It's probably time to up the weight a smidge on the Rip Skulls since I got 4 sets of 12 reps at 40 lbs. But those sets totally shot me for the next tricep movement. No benches for CGBP so I do a few sets of straight bar Tricep Cable Push Downs. It's a good thing I had anticipated how hard this was going to be, and set the weight at 30 lbs. Failure came quickly after 3 sets.

Doing HIIT cardio was like sucking wet tissues into my lungs. Humidity is not my friends when I'm desperately trying to oxygenate. I could only bear to do 5 minutes of it at a time. Luckily, it's Monday and Mondays are always the hardest for cardio because I'm such a slug on the weekends. I admit that I've missed the Stretch Cage and I'm glad it's back, although I haven't had the nerve to try pull ups on it yet. Nor have I tried any practice kicks at the side bars. It's too centrally located now, and this makes me a tad self-conscious. Which probably sounds funny coming from someone who drops into dramatic splits on the big mats.

Maybe I should go try those Dive Bomber push ups again? I've been looking at push up variations, but nothing with elevated feet. That will raise the pressure in my head, and as someone with glaucoma, I can't risk anything like that. Diamond push ups and side to side push ups look like fun though. And I remember doing push ups interspersed with punching a body bag, or tapping the opposite shoulder when my hubs and I used to take a kickboxing class together. I was really good at stuff like that.

I've been taking a half dose of milk thistle for the past few days. It's a purported tonic for the liver and gallbladder, and can help with diabetes, inflammation and cholesterol issues. At my last physical, my doc mentioned a slight elevation in my liver enzymes, and a potential for a pre-diabetic condition. I'm not sure if she says this to everyone, but being Asian predisposes me to diabetes even though I'm not overweight. I've haven't noticed any difference except that my fingers no longer feel stiff when I wake, and my stomach seems more noisy. Milk thistle is suppose to release toxins from the liver as well. I'm just really happy about my fingers since I can't remember the last time I woke up without having to stretch out my hands before I got out of bed.

Tomorrow is Cardio and Core Day, and then my son and I are going to see The Man from U.N.C.L.E. I hope I won't be disappointed. I remember watching the TV show when I was a child with dashing Robert Vaughn and David McCallum as the two spies and best buddies. We both enjoyed Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation, so we have our fingers crossed.



Monday Push Day Workout
(3.41 miles cardio; 10,970 lbs moved)

warm up
Calorie :   46 CAL
Distance: 1.25 mile
Speed :    7.45 mph
Duration : 00:10:06
52.5
Set 1 : 25x15
Set 2 : 30x12
Set 3 : 35x12
Set 4 : 35x12
Set 5 : 35x15
100
Set 1 : 45x15
Set 2 : 65x12
Set 3 : 75x10
35
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x12
Set 3 : 25x8
Set 4 : 25x12
Set 5 : 25x12
Set 6 : 20x15 SuperSet with
37.5
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x15
Set 3 : 25x12
Set 4 : 25x15
Set 5 : 25x15
Set 6 : 25x15
56
Set 1 : 40x12
Set 2 : 40x12
Set 3 : 40x12
Set 4 : 40x12
45
Set 1 : 30x15
Set 2 : 30x13
Set 3 : 30x12
Calorie :   212 CAL
Distance: 2.16 mile
5 min HIIT, 5 min LISS
5 min HIIT, 15 min LISS
Duration : 00:30:03

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...