Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Myth of Multi-Tasking

I almost look tall!
Nowhere are people more stubborn about focused efforts than in weight training. People figure they're either going to get big, and hopefully strong. Or they're going to get lean and sexy. They save cardio for rest days or don't do it at all. They don't think that stretching and flexibility exercises bring anything useful to the table. There's no such thing as multi-tasking at the gym. You can't carry on an animated conversation and actually get a good cardio workout unless you're already disciplined enough to move at a quick enough pace. Few are.

Of course, I try to do it all, have my cake and eat it as well. Get stronger, good looking muscles, build cardio endurance and increase flexibility. But I don't do it all at the same time. And I don't believe in "periodization" which means you spend 3 months bulking up and getting bigger, and 3 months getting leaner and maybe improving your cardio function. I just do different things on different days, but all in the same week. It's a different routine each day to prevent over-working a muscle group, and also, to cover "all my bases" so that I haven't neglected any one body part, including the lungs and heart! They might be classified as organs, but organs need loving too.

Short legs!
Lately I've been working on increasing my cardio efficiency, measured in mileage. I've been pushing myself to hit and surpass the 7-mile mark for the past several weeks. When I first started, I was aiming at the 5-mile mark. That's progress for you. It's been 4 years and I've only managed 2 more miles. LOL! But of course, mileage is not my only focus. One thing at a time while I'm doing it. Doesn't mean I can't do it all in one workout. Just means I can't do it simultaneously. I figure we have a lot of different muscles. They don't all get worked out all at once no matter what it is you're doing. So there will always be muscles in reserve, and energy in reserve for the things you didn't do. As long as you're sensible about your plan, you should be able to accomplish multiple goals. The body is more resilient than you think. Trust me!

You can find anything online
I've given up on sit-ups until I find a variation that doesn't take the skin off my tailbone. I'm actually tossing out cotton underwear due to the holes that have formed there and only there! Today I do the Torso Twist machine, some crunches and lower ab scissors. What's exciting are the plank variations I've decided to test. I do a straight 90 seconds of a full plank. Take a 20 second rest and then the next variation: 30 seconds full; 30 seconds right leg elevated; 30 seconds left leg elevated. Of course, I'm not doing this in the elbow plank position which would change the angle a bit. For the last variation, I start off again with 30 seconds full plank, and then 30 seconds with one arm elevated, 30 seconds for the other arm. Again, I'm in full plank position. It kind of looks like a yoga position. I'm not sure if it'll be easier or harder from an elbow plank position. All I know is that elbow planks hurt my shoulders so it'll be a while before I decide to try that variation.

I have enough time for a partial stretch at the Stretch Cage and then I'm off to shower and change. My son and I are meeting friends to watch Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. It turns out to be an excellent film with beautifully framed shots, excellent action sequences and well-delivered humorous dialogue. I'd see this movie again. Just like I'd see AntMan again. And Guardians of the Galaxy again. Wait, I've seen Guardians of the Galaxy at least 3 times, but I'd see it again! Turns out that Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is slated to open in 2017. Wahoo!

But I'd like to know when the Shaun the Sheep movie will finally arrive. Seriously. I love Shaun the Sheep, and Wallace and Gromit. 'Nough said.



Tuesday Core and Cardio Workout
(7.3 miles)

Steady State
Calorie :   148 CAL
Distance: 4.18 mile
Speed :    8.35 mph
Duration : 00:30:05

Set 1 : 50x25
Set 2 : 50x25
Set 1 : 00:01:31
Set 2 : 00:01:31
Set 3 : 00:01:32
Set 1 : 25 Crunches
Set 2 : 50 Scissors
Set 3 : 25 Crunches

Perf Prgm #2
Calorie :   273 CAL
Distance: 3.12 mile
Duration : 00:30:00

2 comments:

  1. Shaun the Sheep movie should have been released yesterday 8/5 in the USA, according to the movie website.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! But I can't find any theaters in my area that are actually playing this movie... no one's got posters or any advertising. :-(

      Delete

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...