Wednesday, August 12, 2015

A "No Sweat" Workout

The propane service guy was scheduled to swap out my old 100 gallon tank for a new 120 gallon tank somewhere between noon and 3 o'clock. So I knew I didn't have enough time to do my full Wednesday workout. People blanch when they calculate how much time I spend at the gym, but they don't consider all the non-workout time: driving there, locker room, warming up, 40 to 60 min of cardio, stretching to prevent soreness, changing, showering and dressing. Some women merely blow-dry their hair without showering or changing before they leave. I can't do that! I'm too gross after I work out, although today, I didn't really sweat.

Sure, I got a bit warm after 10 min on the cross-trainer, but it was barely a mile and I wasn't really sweating. I don't really sweat when I lift either. Unless the A/C is broken. The sign is gone from the front entrance, so I assume that the new A/C unit has been installed. It doesn't feel any colder, but maybe it's less humid? Of course, it's not humid outside either so I can't really gauge. Maybe the weather will hold and I'll wander outside in the wee hours to catch a glimpse of the Perseid Meteor shower. My son will be asleep, unless I can convince him to stay up waaaay past his bedtime. He's a night owl like me, so that might not be too difficult. (From an NPR article [click link above] on the event: "NASA plans to livestream the shower, from 10 p.m. ET tonight through 2 a.m. Thursday, at this link: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nasa-msfc )

Between lifting and cardio, lifting wins. But only because I did an all cardio workout yesterday. And I'm whacking the machine tomorrow, which counts as cardio in my book. And I'll do two 30 minute sessions of cardio on Friday because 1) it's Leg Day and 2) I missed last Friday's workout. Besides, cardio doesn't do much for my back, or biceps. And today is Back and Biceps Day.

I do it like this guy: only going to the navel instead of
all the way up to the chest, which changes the pivot point.
(Image from vonblancofitness.com)
I do my standard routine, except being short on time, I utilize pyramids for two exercises. I need more rest time if I'm doing 3 sets of heavier weights than if I'm doing a drop set pyramid. I don't skip any exercises either although I'm tempted to drop the Lower Back Extension machine. But I do skip a warm up set for RG BB Curls and instead squeak out an extra 5 reps for each set. I may actually develop average sized forearms from all this! My left elbow is a bit achy today so I'm careful with it, even during the partial Drag Curls. That movement is a godsend because it's one of the few I can do without totally wrecking my tiny elbow joints. And I'm getting results from just the partial movement!

I don't have time for even 10 min of HIIT cardio so I take one minute to do a quick Cage Stretch. Actually, it's more like 3-4 minutes. Ugh. I glance around and catch a glimpse of Shaggy, PJ Pants, The Mayor and a few other regulars. A person is excited waving their arms in front of Shaggy while chatting his ear off. He's politely staring past. PJ Pants is lost in reverie on the Cybex Pec Dec, and The Mayor is strolling through the BB area, meeting and greeting like a politician in an election year. I'm so outta here.

Wednesday Back and Bicep Workout
(1.21 miles cardio warm up; 37,785 lbs moved)

Warm Up
Calorie :   48 CAL
Distance: 1.21 mile
Speed :    7.22 mph
Duration : 00:10:07
217.5
Set 1 : 55x15
Set 2 : 105x15
Set 3 : 125x15
Set 4 : 145x15
Set 5 : 145x15
Set 6 : 145x15
Set 7 : 105x25
Set 1 : 90x12
Set 2 : 105x10
Set 3 : 120x8
Set 4 : 112.5x10
Set 5 : 97.5x12
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 45x12
Set 3 : 60x8
Set 4 : 52.5x10
Set 5 : 37.5x12
Set 1 : 210x15
Set 2 : 210x15
Set 3 : 210x15
Partial
Set 1 : 50x12
Set 2 : 55x12
Set 3 : 60x12
Set 4 : 60x12
Set 5 : 60x12
Set 1 : 50x25 Yaaay!
Set 2 : 50x25
Set 3 : 50x25

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...