Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Week Three Day Two: Back

Mind-numbing fatigue translates into a dull monotonous cardio routine. In spite of my best efforts, I fail my quota. I'm not sweating much either even though I'm wearing my all-cotton hooded sweatshirt zipped up over standard gym gear. Again I think that it must be THAT part of my menstrual cycle, the part that makes me feel as if I'm Apoc, unceremoniously unplugged by Cipher from the Matrix. Except I'm well on my way into menopause so there's no way, short of a blood test, to tell what the heck is going on. Perhaps the heatwave is also taking its toll. I find persistent humidity and heat to be absolutely enervating. Give me back winter! Just kidding.

I do manage to finish strong in my basic exercises and knock out an ab workout as well. The Mat Stretch works out really well, but I'm usually fairly flexible on Tuesdays, but not necessarily on Wednesdays when I tend to do a double cardio session. Perhaps there's a limit as to how much work my legs can handle before being subjected to flexibility exercises? I roll forward onto my towel and land with my face between my forearms, inhaling my own breath because I've basically executed a carefully orchestrated face-plant.

I stretch my arms out towards my toes, laying most of me flat against the mat for a minute or two. It's as much as my right knee can take. It's always been finicky, ever since I injured the iliotibial band way back in college, and never had it looked at or treated. I'm sure it's the reason a side stretch feels as if my kneecap is dislocating. And probably contributes to my knee sensitivity to impact. But it's been 30 years so there's not much I'm going to do except work around it.

I haven't decided to up my weights just yet. Must not be bored enough. I see a few regulars but don't acknowledge most of them, except I wave at R because I almost walk into him as I'm returning the magnetic discs to the front desk. And Mo, because she shows up just as I'm done, and by then I'm fairly amiable. I note the Mayor, Nixon, M, Ranger Rick, Tall Skinny Blonde, Skinny J, Skinny Mustache and others. I saw B earlier but she's always chatting with large groups of men and I hate, absolutely hate, walking up to that. So I don't. She's probably mad at me for not taking time out to chat with her, but I'm not all that interested so I guess I'll just be guilty of being unsociable. In the locker room, a girl asks me if I box. I tell her only the (Nexersys) machine outside. She seems disappointed, and I wonder if I look like someone who boxes. Like I've said before, boxers have great arms so that makes me happy. 

Week Three Day Two Back Workout:
35 min hill #6 = 3.86 miles (boy did this suck today!)
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 60 lbs / 12 @ 90 lbs / 10 @ 105 / 8 @ 120 / 3 x 6 @ 127.5 lbs / 12 @ 112.5 lbs / 15 @ 97.5 lbs
My back feels thoroughly warmed up now!
Cage Stretch with bw heel dips, and side kicks
RGBB Rows: 6 x 13 @ 105 lbs
I can really feel my lats during the last reps of each set!
Pendlay Rows: 6 x 12 @ 65 lbs
Yep, this is still kicking my butt but not quite as bad.
I'm tempted to do arms but then I'd have little to do tomorrow beside cardio which is going to be painful at best. Instead I decide to do abs because I'll probably skip them tomorrow.
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Up: 150 (I counted but it didn't really seem like a lot)
I always find people staring at me when I get up from the bench, maybe because I'm not looking too stressed about it, or maybe they've been keeping count?
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Ab Crunch Bench: 100
I just realized it has a name decaled on the base, and it's called Abench. Or ABbench. 
Mat Stretch: my splits are good today and I'm very pleased. 

I catch sight of R resting on a bench between sets. Tall men don't seem very flexible, especially those with lots of sports injuries, broken shoulders, herniated discs, torn cartilage. He's still awfully cute, and I look away. He's already told me that he's broken and this is the best he's going to be. Perhaps I looked disappointed, or concerned. Later, he said that he's always in pain, but at least at the gym, he's making his own pain. I can respect that, and I do.

The gym scale reads 110.6 lbs and that makes me happy because I was really expecting it to read 112 or something ghastly like that. But I'm so hungry I feel a tad ill in the shower. When I get home, the squirrels have dislodged the bird feeder and seeds spill all over the ground, but it's easily remedied. What might not be so easy to fix is this fatigue. But we'll see tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...