Thursday, July 18, 2013

Week Four Day Four is Leg Day!

18july2013 hill5 and intervals7
It's suppose to be near 100°F today. So far it's only reached 94°F and it's only a tad cooler inside the house although the dang dog keeps running in and out. In to cool down. Out to chase chipmunks at the bird feeder. Because I did a double cardio session on Tuesday, I wasn't sure if today was going to be better or worse. My butt sure is sore, probably from the barbell exercises yesterday (Back Day). I'm wearing skin tight yoga shorts today even though I don't need the compression. Next time I'm going to buy the S instead of the XS. I finally loosen up at the 20 minute mark during the first session. I'm sweaty and thirsty, and feel pretty good. My second session goes even better and I'm pleased that I'm able to muster a burst of speed for the last minute and a half (averaging 220 Strides Per Min from 190 SPM). I'm also singing along to the iPod with my hood down over my eyes and sweat dripping off my nose. It's a good cardio session!
Calves!

The gym is fairly empty and I'm very happy that the Smith is vacant. I see a few regulars though, and I'm thoroughly surprised to see R. But I'm all business because I need to knock out squats and stiff legged dead lifts while the cardio-induced euphoria is still coursing through my veins. (I wave a quick Hi at him when he crosses in front of me. I don't need to be a complete unsociable jerk). As long as I have my elbows braced, the Squats and SLDLs are fine. Well, not fine, but I haven't puked all over myself doing them. Afterwards I strip off my hoodie and head across the gym to the Cage Stretch. Counterintuitively, stretches are easier when not done immediately after cardio.

I'm on my 4th Pistol Squat when R wanders over to use the cable station. Of course, I lose my footing and balance and fall over because I've lost my concentration. I can't even acknowledge his presence. Instead, I just stare fixedly into the mirror because I want to finish this exercise before moving on to the machines. Sweat is dripping off my nose but I ignore everything just to finish.

Week Four Day Four Leg Workout:
35 min hill #5 = 4.09 miles + 35 min intervals #7 = 4.45 miles  Grand Total 8.54 miles Wahoo!
Smith Machine Squats: 12 @ bar (butt to heels) / 12 @ 95 lbs (thighs parallel) / 12 @ 115 / 12 @ 135 / 3 x 12 @ 155 lbs
Smith Machine SLDL: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 lbs / 5 x 12 @ 115 lbs
Pistol Squats done in a continuous motion alternating each leg: 14
Seated Leg Curls: 3 x 12 @ 97.5 lbs / 3 x 6 @ 105 lbs
I could probably either do more reps or more sets but I'm feeling lazy right now
Seated Leg Extensions: 6 x 12 @ 75 lbs
I see R walk back from the cables and again I'm surprised because I figure he'd already slipped out the exit door. Instead he gets a drink from the fountain just as I've dropped my head onto my knees because my lower quads are burning from the Leg Extensions. I recover my composure and he's walking past me. We wave Bye at each other but I note a distant look in his face, a grimace, a slight shake of his head, and a hand gingerly touching his lower back. I want to ask him if he's okay but I know he's not. 
Mat Stretch: ZZ and a girl are on the mats but there's enough room for me to stretch out. Because I stopped to chat with Mo beforehand, my hamstrings are tight and I know better than to push them. Still I mange to work on my splits with reasonable success.

Today's harvest
The gym scale reads 108.8 lbs and I note it, but it doesn't have much meaning for me. As long as the scale trends down, under 110 lbs by the end of the week, I feel good. I've harvested a bumper crop of zucchini blossoms so it's time to figure out what to stuff them with. The peas aren't very happy though and look very small although the "dwarf" plants are certainly making full use of the trellis I put up for support.

Something, probably a beetle, is eating big holes in the blossoms, but I've only noticed them in blossoms that are attached to actual zucchinis. I hurry to snip whole blossoms before they're ruined by foreign mandibles.

As I'm dressing this morning, movement immediately outside my window catches my eye. It's something big and brown. Yep, deer. Grazing like it lived in my yard year-round. Pests, not pets!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...