Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Week Two Day Two

Precor 2 Hill 6
I'm not so lucky today to get my favorite elliptical. Instead, I mount Precor #2 which feels as if I'm peddling a big ol' farm tractor over rough terrain. As hard as I try to maintain a good pace, the best I can average is 195 SPM (strides per minute) which leaves me a tad short of the self-imposed 4 mile quota I set for myself. I am lucky in that all the mosquito bites that started itching last night are not bothering me now. But I now look like I have the measles.

It's Back Day and I'm feeling fairly strong with the Seated Cable Rows. Not quite strong enough to up my weights just yet though. Between sets, V wanders by and I quickly turn away to suck down some water. Perhaps I have Borderline Personality Syndrome (friend or foe, no shades of gray), but I have such a strong dislike of V from all my previous interactions that I'm immediately repulsed. I can barely manage a brief wave Hi when we're not at the gym. The gym is a sanctuary where I can enjoy a 110% workout effort and no one bothers me. I can be as intense as I want to be and not worry about being judged as not friendly enough, not smiley enough, not girly enough. I'm worried that if I wave Hi to V, he'll see it as an invitation to unload all his disjointed thoughts on me. Bleah! I don't come here to socialize. Finding kindred spirits is nice, but not necessary. It's enough for me to see familiar faces. I don't actually need to acknowledge them.

My elbows and forearms are feeling much better now that I've stopped doing pull ups and lat pull downs. I barely need to stretch them out during Reverse Grip BB Rows and Pendlay Rows. While I doing RGBBRows, I note a young dude doing Pendlays with an Olympic bar and a few plates. He did several sets before I'd finished so I felt a heck of a lot less self-conscious doing Pendlays afterwards, and that was great. Probably because his bigger weights made a lot more noise than my measely 65 lb barbell. The gym is full of regulars and that's reassuring. They don't bother me. M, The Mayor, Hoodie Tattoo, Ranger Rick, Skinny J, R, ZZ are all interspersed throughout the free weight area.

Day Two Workout: Back
35 min hill #6 = 3.98 miles Que Sera
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 60 lbs / 12 @ 90 lbs / 10 @ 105 lbs / 8 @ 120 lbs / 3 x 6 @ 127.5 lbs / 12 @ 112.5 lbs / 15 @ 97.5 lbs
I can't decide whether I should see if I can get more reps at 127.5 lbs before I up the weight back to 135 lbs. Perhaps I'll give it another few weeks.
Cage Stretch with Body Weight Heel Dips and Side Kicks
Reverse Grip BB Rows: 6 x 13 @ 105 lbs Yep, 13 reps a set because I'm bored
Pendlay BB Rows: 6 x 12 @ 65 lbs  
These are still hard but I'm determined to finish my sets because the dude next to me just did sets with an Olympic bar and 55 lb plates. His Pendlays make a lot more noise than mine do so I'm so much less self-conscious after he's done!
Lower Back Extension: 2 x 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 150
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Torso Twist Machine: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Mat Stretch: my splits are really good today although the horizontal is a tad hard on the knees and I don't hold that position for more than 30 seconds. The verticals are almost perfect so I add a half dozen back leg flexes.

I'm hungry and spacey by the time I get to shower. So spacey that I can't quite recall what the gym scale reads. Is it 111.6 or 110.6? I'll go with 110.6 because it makes more sense, but it might not actually be the truth. I don't want to start having to take my cell to the shower with me and snap a photo of the scale as well!

Tomorrow is Leg Day but I"m wondering how much cardio to do since last week I did double cardio on Arm Day instead. Friday I'll have my son with me so I'll probably only do 45 min of cardio then. Yes, I'm planning to hit the gym on July 4th as well, if only to do cardio and arms. I'm hoping the gym will be empty, but with this freaky weather, it's hard to say what everyone else's plans are. Our orange day lilies are just starting to bloom even though there are abundant clusters everywhere else locally. At least the deer haven't eaten all the buds. Yet. When I get home, dragonflies, white sulfur butterflies and huge bumblebees are all hovering in the driveway. It's a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...