Thursday, July 4, 2013

Happy Day Four of July!

Matless stretch
Yep, I went to the gym this morning. And I did another double cardio session just because I felt like it. The gym closed at 1 pm so those poor schleps finally making it to the gym at 12:55 were out of luck today. It was so crowded this morning I literally couldn't turn around without bumping into someone. Not anyone I knew though. Mostly kids I hadn't seen in ages, and a lot of new faces seeing an opportunity to finally put that gym membership to use before the holiday pig out. I got on tractor elliptical #2 because Precor #1 and 3 were occupied by two very large girls having a conversation. I hate it when people talk to each other on eiter side of you as if you didn't exist in between them. Thankgoodness again I have my hoodie up and my iPod turned waaaay loud.

By the time I punched in my 2nd session, I'd pulled the hood off my head, figuring the sweat would just run down into my jacket. I don't want to be gross and spray sweat all over adjacent folks peddling away. My butt's a tad sore today, probably from squats and deadlifts, but I felt pretty good and was really surprised to do a bit better on my total mileage as well. It's good to surprise yourself!

Since today is Day Four, I figure I'd do the neglected arms: biceps and triceps. I started with close grip benching on the Smith machine and went for reps. I don't need bigger arms, just better definition and strength. I skipped abdominals completely today but am fairly obsessive about my stretches. After Cage Stretches, I came back to the free weight area for a pair of 20 lb dumbbells. Alternating DB curls with tricep extensions worked up a decent pump. I'd've done Tricep press downs but the cable stations looked as if they had people lined up to use them. After 6 sets of barbell curls, I returned the 2.5 lb magnetic discs (an excuse to rest my arms) and then knocked out 4 sets of Reverse Grip BB Curls. Then back to the rack to grab a 20 lb DB and perform just 3 sets of kick backs. I was really looking forward to stretching out but all the mats were occupied, so I wandered into the vacant class space. It's highly air-conditioned and mirrored. What it doesn't have are mats. But I do my Mat Stretch as best as I can without causing my joints too much pain. Wooden floors are hard!

Day Four of July: Arms
35 min cardio hill #5 = 4.09 miles + 35 min cardio intervals #7 = 4.42  Grand Total = 8.51 miles Yay!
Smith Close Grip Bench Press: 25 @ bar / 3 x 25 @ 95 lbs
Cage Stretch with Body Weight Heel Dips and Side Kicks
DB Curls SuperSet with Tricep Extensions: 3 x 15-12 @ 20 lbs
BB Curls: 6 x 16 @ 45 lbs
Reverse Grip BB Curls: 4 x 20 @ 40 lbs
DB Kick Backs: 3 x 12 @ 20 lbs
Mat Stretch (no mat): splits are much harder to do on a hard wooden floor and I cut my routine short because my knees aren't really happy about it.

The gym scale again reads 109.6 lbs and that's the most consistent I've ever been. I'm drenched and as soon as I step into the shower, I smell the briny ocean. Except that it's me. I try to snap a few quick photos but my hands aren't really big enough to hold the phone and push the button without tremendous effort. Most of my photos are out of focus.

Our holiday plans are to make a big dinner for another family and deliver it to them by 5 pm. They're part of our Cub Scout troop and their oldest child has suffered a recurrence of a tumor. The latest operation was successful and he's at home recovering, but our pack is delivering dinners to help the family since there are four other siblings. Tomorrow my husband has to work, but my son doesn't have camp, so he'll be accompanying me to the gym. Just as well that I make it a shorter session. Perhaps a bit of cardio and another go at the Nexersys. If I can figure out how to protect my hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...