Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Unexpected and Inexplicable

Today started like most others, with me making breakfast and packable lunches. Then I hurry off to the doc to have some tests done. Of course there aren't as many bubbles in my pee this morning as there's been in the past two weeks. Of course. I wonder if it's the voluminous amount of wild wine raspberries that we've been eating. The season seems to be winding down for these tiny luscious treats so we haven't been eating them lately. Or perhaps it's the double and triple amounts of cardio I've logged in for the past few weeks, but exercise-induced proteinuria usually occurs relative to exercise intensity, not duration. Upping my cardio doesn't mean I'm working harder, just longer.

I give the P.A. (physician's assistant) a sample of urine. It's got a cluster of bubbles in it. She takes my blood pressure, which has been borderline high for the past few years (my sister claims it's a by product of menopause), and we're both pleased that it's 110/70, which is what it was in high school. The blood tech takes a sample to run tests. I warn her that my veins are notoriously skittish (they slither under the skin like snakes) and I've been told they're tiny. "Oh no, they're lying to you," she says as she sticks a needle effortlessly into my arm and draws a vial of the dark red stuff. "Your veins stick up, so they're not tiny." We conclude that those other techs must just be covering for poor technique. I also know that in the past two years, as I've gotten thinner and in better cardio shape, my veins do seem more pronounced, as if they've grown in diameter.

The increased vascularity in my forearms is endlessly fascinating to me, but I already know I have a bizarre network of blood vessels scattered throughout my body. I don't do Overhead Presses (military presses) because the right side of my neck has a tangle of vessels that congest and put pressure on odd nerves, resulting in a temporary loss of hearing in my right ear. I can see a zig-zag pattern of veins in my upper right chest as well: they don't branch or fork but form Zs like switchbacks on a treacherous mountain road. I see the same pattern on my son's chest, remembering that when he was born, the inch of umbilical cord attached to his navel would not fall off on its own because it had it's own blood supply and required silver iodide to shrivel the appendaged tissue.

After cardio I set down to Seated Cable Rows. Last week I had a really good workout so I proceed to do the same routine, warming up with a mere 60 lbs. But my right knee has been twinging today, and as I move the weights up the stack, I feel a sudden stiffening on my right lower back, just over the hip bone. I can't find soreness in the muscle. Rather, it seems to be emanating from inside the hip bone, sending an unpleasant sensation down my leg and up my back. Drat! Is this sciatica?

My Seated Cable Rows are not going well. I forgot to take my rings off before coming to the gym so I was distracted by them cutting into my fingers while I did cable rows. Afterwards I ran back to the lockers to stash my rings, but the damage had already been done! Normally I only wear my wedding band. It's platinum so it'll hold up to abuse, but my diamond engagement ring and grandmother's diamond and white gold engagement ring (which I wear on my right hand) are best kept safe from such hardships!

Today I'm moving slowly because I'm not taking flexibility or strength for granted with an impending injury. I'm surprised that I can manage my Cage Stretch and kicks. However, the BB Rows are another matter. Bending at the hip is not easy today so I only use the 100 lb barbell for sets of Reverse Grip Rows. The rows themselves are fine; it's picking up the BB and putting it down again that's a bit tricky. Because of that, I rule out Pendlay's and opt to try Lat Pull Downs again. It's been nearly a year since I did those. Today the pollen count is wreaking a bit of havoc on my sinuses and inner ear so I'm cautious not to climb up too quickly: I can't actually reach the bar to the Pull Downs unless I'm standing on the seat.

The warm up set is easy so I jump the weight up. It's still less than I weigh so it's not the equivalent to a Pull Up and I'm hoping that will minimize elbow stress. I do three decent sets before my fingers start to get weak from gripping the bar. Between sets I look around. There are regulars here today like The Mayor, Hoodie Tattoo, M, B and a lot of HS kids, but my iPod is blaring so loud I can't hear anything. Just as well. R has taken an interest in a small kid. Okay, he's probably taller than I am but compared to all the other guys here, he's a small kid, a teenager who looks barely able to shave. I see R showing him DB lunges with the back leg resting on a bench. Later, I see him at a military press rack with the same kid and they seem to be having an animated discussion. Now I have even more respect for R. Sigh.

Tuesday's Back Workout:
35 min cardio Intervals #7 = 4.48 miles Yay!
Seated Cable Rows: 12 @ 60 lbs / 10 @ 90 / 8 @ 120 / 3  x 4-6 @ 135 lbs / 10 @ 120 / 12 @ 90 lbs
I can barely do the last two reps of my heavy sets and I'm disappointed but try to use negatives to get something out of the movement.
Cage Stretch with Heel Dips and Side Kicks
Reverse Grip Bent Over BB Rows: 6 x 12 @ 100 lbs
I had a helluva time picking this up and setting it down after each set because my right side back over the hip bone got really stiff. The rows themselves felt fine!
Lat Pull Downs: 12 @ 60 lbs warm up / 3 x 12 @ 90 lbs
No back or elbow issues on this! So far so good!
Lower Back Extensions: 25 @ 90 lbs / 25 @ 97.5 lbs
Surprisingly, this didn't hurt either.
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 125
Again, I'm surprised that this doesn't hurt either. 
Mat Stretch: executed every movement but extremely slowly. Left hamstring was tight but nothing compared to the right side, top of the glute. My stretches don't worsen or lessen the discomfort and I'm perplexed.

The gym scale reads 109.2 lbs and I'm okay with that. I'd planned to run a few errands but walking to my car and bending over the seat make me reconsider. Driving is actually worse than walking though as I can feel a vague shock of pain vibrate down my leg into my foot and pinky toe. This sucks. I think of R and how he manages to grit his teeth and glide into the gym every day. But what really sucks is that tomorrow is Leg Day. And I love love love Leg Day. Except maybe tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...