Monday, July 1, 2013

Week Two Day One of the New Plan

My hand looks pretty beat up just from a few minutes of faux boxing at the Nexersys station last Friday. But it doesn't really hurt so that's good. I wasn't quite as sluggish as I'd've liked what with intermittent thunderstorms and overgrown hedges needing to be trimmed, a garden with lovely large zucchini leaves and promising snow pea tendrils amidst errant maple seedlings. Still, I had a slow start this morning and didn't have much hope of making my mileage quota. I did, however, mange to get on Precor #1 which is easier than the other two ellipticals. Feeling a bit frantic, with images of yesterday's streamed movie still in my head (my son and I watched Into The Wild, although mostly my son was bored, or as he puts it, b'yored... beyond bored), I quickly got up to speed and manage to maintain the pace. I was pleasantly surprised!

The Smith Bench Press yielded no such surprises and I completed all my sets in a timely manner. Even the Bent Over DB Raises (rear deltoids) felt good. It was only when I got to the 4th set of Lateral Raises that fatigue set in. I was surprised. I can usually power through 6 sets without too much effort although the 25s are relatively new. What I wasn't expecting was fatigue from boxing. Or perhaps the wee bit of hedge trimming I did yesterday. Heck, boxing was three days ago! Boxers have great arms. And great delts. Are my delts were sore and tired from just 6 rounds three days ago? Or snipping a measly few sprigs of privet. Damn!

Week Two Day One of the New Plan
35 min cardio hill #5 = 4.12 miles Yippee!
Smith Bench Press: 12 @ bar / 12 @ 95 lbs / 10 @ 115 / 8 @ 135 / 3 x 6 @ 155 / 12 @ 135 / 25 @ 115 lbs
Cage Stretch with body weight heel dips & Side Kicks
Bent Over (chest in lap) Rear DB Raises: 6 x 15 @ 25 lbs
Lateral DB Raises: 6 x 12 @ 25 lbs
Flat Bench Twisting Sit Ups: 150 (I was bored and 125 didn't seem like very much)
Ab Crunch Station: 100
Torso Twist: 2 x 25 @ 50 lbs
Mat Stretch: my splits are surprisingly good today considering I've done no stretching all weekend.

I almost feel guilty for not doing triceps today. The Decline Bench is occupied so I'm done sooner than I planned. Just as well. I have a lot of errands to do today. The gym scale reads 111.6 lbs and I'm not surprised considering the clam, bacon and spinach pizza I had, washed down with sangria and frozen berries.

Tomorrow is Day Two: Back and I'm quite looking forward to it. Wednesday will once again be Leg Day but Thursday and Friday will be my cardio wild card days. It's very exciting because I have no idea what I'll do once I'm warmed up! I might even hit the Nexersys boxing station again on Friday if I can figure out how to protect my hands better. Taking the skin off your joints is definitely a consequence of punching hard, and I could punch softer, but that'd be disingenuous. What would be the point if you can't actually whack the pads with some semblance of real fury? Perhaps a few well-placed band-aids under my gloves? I'm not really sure what'll work, but I don't really want to invest in 20 minutes of wrapping my hands beforehand. I'll figure something out before then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...