Monday, October 7, 2024

Warm for October

Wonderful weather graced this past weekend with bright sunny days with temps peaking in the 70s. Meanwhile, leaves are all changing color and falling. It's weird. I had planned to see that new Joker movie but it got such dismal reviews that I decided to stay home. Instead, I actually did something I haven't done in a long time: read an actual book from start to finish. 

Granted it wasn't a long book, or a particularly complicated one with tortuous plot lines and a dizzying array of characters. Nope. It was a somewhat simple story, but one I'd been meaning to read when it was first published, and especially when I found it on the list of banned books. Books banned from school libraries!

What could be so insidious about Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian? I stayed up way past my bedtime just to finish reading it, well-worth the poetic and satisfying ending. This also meant I was really tired when I got up this morning to take puppers to the park. But it was also another beautiful day, eventually. Because it really looked like rain at first. I'm eyeing Barbara Kingsolver's Demon Copperhead as the next challenge. (I used to love reading her books when I was younger.)

I also stayed home this weekend to watch the somewhat silly but still exciting JackPot with Awkwafina, John Cena, and Simu Liu. Followed by an equally silly The Beekeeper, with Jason Statham. (But honestly, aren't most Statham flicks kind of silly?) I'm still waiting for John Wick 4 to be affordable for streaming, as in "Nope, not gonna spend $25 to watch a movie." The same goes for the new DeadPool & Wolverine flick.

I got to the gym past noon and Wind Breaker was on elliptical #1. I got on #2 and it was crazy noisy with a clunking sound that hit with every rotation. Maybe it just seemed extra loud because I'd forgotten to charge my AirPods so only one earbud was working. The other one functioned solely as an expensive earplug. 

I could still hear my tunes, but not enough to block out the raucous conversation at the other end of the cardio platform. And it wasn't just me who was bothered. I saw other folks on other equipment all look up and stare briefly at the oblivious old men happily screaming at each other in conversation from a distance of a few yard and two or three pieces of equipment.

So, the first cardio session wasn't great. But I did it. And I got all my pull-ups done. The step machine and the cross-trainer weren't total losses either. All-in-all, a decent workout. That usually means I might have trouble getting up tomorrow morning. There are bigger, noisier fans in the Aerobics Room now. Well, at least I'm not in danger of falling asleep. But I'm tired enough to consider ditching almost every exercise, but then I feel guilty and do anything that isn't actually aggravating my sciatica. So, still no Bird Dog planks, but yes to Push-ups, Air Squats and Hip Bridges. 

I might go to the movies tomorrow and see the new Joker movie for $5. Or I might just move some firewood. There's two full wheelbarrows of freshly split wood behind my house that I could roll down to the pallets in the front yard. As long as it's nice outside. I don't think NY has anything to worry about with Hurricane Milton, now a cat 5 in the gulf. But Florida's in trouble...

7 Oct 2024 12:21-2:08
Monday — All Cardio
Brilliant Day — Timolol / sciatica

Precor elliptical #2
Program 2 Clunks!
Time: 30 + 5 (5508)
Distance: 2.82
Cal: 312
Avg Hr: 153, 180-86
New FB: 52-132

HGPU 15

Matrix StairMaster (L) 1:08-1:18
Manual timer 8+2 cool down
Minimum 5 minutes
Speed 5 (45-50) / 29-36 (2-1)
Steps 426
Floors 26
Cal 64
Hr 129

HGPU 15

Life Fitness X-Trainer #5
Program Manual L1
Time: 12 (+3min cool down)=15
Distance: 1.35
Cal: 114
Avg Hr: 127-129

HGPU 14.5

20 Hip Bridges (tingle after rep 11)
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
Piriformis stretches
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Push-Ups 25 (minimal tingle)
Arm rotations 20
Air Squats 25
Neck stretch / Eye yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment

Temps Dropped and I Got Hives

I've been waking to temps below 40F lately and my body has reacted. It's somewhat subtle and only I notice it, but I've develope...