Thursday, October 17, 2024

Temps Dropped and I Got Hives

I've been waking to temps below 40F lately and my body has reacted. It's somewhat subtle and only I notice it, but I've developed hives down the outside of my thighs. It happens every fall as soon as it gets the slightest bit cold. Never mind that temps will hit the 70s again next week. The hives will probably go away until the next cold spell. 

Of course, my body doesn't follow standard parameters and recommended treatments don't really work. I'm not taking antihistamines for this (cold urticaria) although this morning I slathered my legs with "itch cream." If it's not insect bites, then it's just temperature in general. I feel like such a "hot house baby."

My dermatologist PA recommended I use retinoid cream and the liberal use of sunscreen for those disconcerting but apparently harmless spots under my eyebrows. I don't consider this cosmetic vanity. It's not like I'm looking at a face lift or botox or liposuction. I just don't want to look like a crazy woman who doesn't know how to apply eyebrow pencil to her brows. Especially since I'm not wearing any makeup.

I skipped the gym yesterday, but made it today. No one on any of the ellipticals. There's a removable cup that can be placed inside the broken bottle holder and both #2 and #3 are broken. I take the cup off of #2 and put it on #3, because honestly, who the heck wants to pedal a machine that clunks? Wind Breaker shows up to claim #1 just as I'm down to the last 5 minutes of my session. Apparently, pedaling the elliptical is all he does for hours, and then he leaves without doing anything else.

I got my three sets of pull-ups done, granted that last set was a bit weak. But I still got my reps. Slightly better "mileage" on the elliptical and (made it past 2.8). Slightly more steps on the step machine. Slightly better distance on the cross-trainer. Yaaaay me. The Aerobics Room was empty and very cold. I'm okay with that. A young guy comes in later and I notice him doing a handstand against the wall and then planks. The Aerobics Room is one of the few places where there is an actual wall no encumbered by mirrors or equipment. I still have discomfort (numbness & tingling) in my right foot and hip but it doesn't last too long. Just enough to be annoying...

17 Oct 2024 11:30-1:30
Thursday — All Cardio Chillats!
Brilliant Day — Timolol / sciatica

Precor elliptical #3
Program 2
Time: 30 + 5 (5572)
Distance: 2.84
Cal: 315
Avg Hr: 155, 185-79
New FB: 54-130

HGPU 15

Matrix StairMaster (R)
Manual timer 8+2 cool down
Minimum 5 minutes
Speed 5 (45-50) / 29-36 (2-1)
Steps 449
Floors 28
Cal 67
Hr 127 

HGPU 15

Life Fitness X-Trainer #3
Program Manual L1
Time: 12 (+3min cool down)=15
Distance: 1.42
Cal: 115
Avg Hr: 120

HGPU 15

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
Piriformis stretches
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25 (minimal tingle)
Arm rotations 20
Air Squats 25
Neck stretch / Eye yoga

No comments:

Post a Comment

Temps Dropped and I Got Hives

I've been waking to temps below 40F lately and my body has reacted. It's somewhat subtle and only I notice it, but I've develope...