Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Crazy December

We drove up to Buffalo last Thursday and stopped in Herkimer to eat at a restaurant right on the Erie Canal. While it was extremely friendly with generous portions (an 8" personal pizza was literally twice that size), cut into squares (like Domino's?) and barely hinting of the fresh garlic described in the menu. The steak salad my husband ordered was quite fresh with nicely cooked but underseasoned meat. It's as if they're afraid of strong flavors, but they were all extremely nice.

Driving back with our kid in tow on Friday, we stopped at Curly's Chicken House for an early supper. It's Friday and the staff is pushing the Fish Fry so we order that. It's delicious, fresh and generous. We get home late, I pick the dogs up the next day from the "pet resort" and we try to recover from the long drive.

I haven't been to the gym since last Wednesday so it's a been a week. The torrential downpour and high winds over Sunday night into Monday caused a lot of localized flooding and broken tree branches. Schools are closed, some roads are closed. I take the dogs to the park during a lull but I'm not going to the gym. It's nearly 60F, but temps drop to the 20s and everything wet starts to freeze. Roads are slick, and at the Bark Park, the mud is icy and treacherous. I'm giving some thought to getting a heated water bowl to keep in the shed there so the pups can have not frozen water. (There's an outlet inside the shed.)

Tuesday I'm running around with last minute errands and then we had plans to see the new Wonka movie with friends we haven't seen since the Eagle Scout Court of Honor we held last April. The film was enjoyable (Hugh Grant hilarious), and one scene was mildly reminiscent of the musical Oliver (Who Will Buy). I've posted a YouTube clip below if you don't remember that awesome scene...

I get to the gym and run through my routine: cardio, pull-ups, core. It's been a week and I'm feeling quite out of shape, probably from all the holiday snacking I've engaged in. Still, I manage not to totally embarrass myself (to myself) so I should be back tomorrow... 



20 December 2023 11:48-1:00
Arctic Wednesday (it’s been a week!)

Precor elliptical #2
Program 1
Time: 30+5 (5798)
Distance: 2.90
Cal: 325
Avg Hr: 153, 202-84

HGPU 17

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5 alt/ss = 100
20 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg bridges
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper stretch w side bends & twists
Walking lunges 44 steps total
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
Wall Squat 90s


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...