Thursday, October 19, 2023

When the Twinge is Nothing At All

It's weird to me that I wake up sore and achy even though I skipped the gym yesterday. It's so foggy in the morning that there's a visibility warning on the weather app. I take the dogs to the park and then I get ready for the gym. While looking for different sneakers, I find bags in my closet and I don't remember what's in them. 

I'm delighted to find a lot of my kid's baby clothes from when he was 4-5 years old and they're in mostly excellent condition from Baby Gap, LLBean and Old Navy. I text a dog park friend with toddler grandchildren and she's interested. So much better than taking all these much-loved items to GoodWill or Once Upon A Child, both resellers.

I get to the gym at half past 11 and hop on the elliptical. I'm worried about a persistent twinge under my right elbow that only makes itself known as I pedal and grip the elliptical handles. An elbow injury is going to make pull-ups difficult and I try to do pull-ups every other day if possible. Doing them today means I don't do them tomorrow because my joints can't handle that type of abuse. 

I'm not sure why the back of my arms, triceps, are sore. It's not as if I did any manual labor yesterday, although I did spend several hours hammering tiny nails into heel taps I put on the new boots I ship to my kid. It's hard not to hammer fingers when you've got a boot sandwiched between your thighs. The nails are too small to hold with normal pliers so fingers it is. 

Pull-ups aren't easy but at least I get more than a dozen reps. The twinge has mysteriously disappeared. My body is like that: one moment patches of skin feel burnt or tingly, then nothing. I'm sure it's just upset nerve pathways. The Aerobics Room is empty but peopled sporadically. At one point, a HS girl clad in a sports bra and high-waist leggings stands in front of the mirrored wall while snapping phone pics. She's posing with her face turned over her shoulder and maybe a duck-face expression. Influencer? Maybe... 

I put my hoodie back on to do Wall Squats and leave it on when I exit the Aerobics Room. There's no excuse not to do another set of pull-ups, so I do them. I'm still utilizing kipping for the last 5, but I can tell the movement is different now, somehow smoother. Besides cardio and core, I'm not sure what else I'll be doing before the weekend. The forecast has changed from a deluge tomorrow and Saturday to a lot of wind and maybe some rain. Just in time for the annual Sheep & Wool Festival...

Because Google is requiring my Firefox browser to accept cookies in order to import pix into my blog, and DuckDuckGo refuses, I use Google Chrome just for the blog. Coincidentally, I don't need to convert the HEIC files to jpgs when I'm in Chrome. Everything used to download from iCloud as jpgs, but Windows claims HEIC preserves better details and data. I'm sure it's tracking data for marketing purposes. Just like Google. Because while everyone gets junk email, the amount in a gmail account is ridiculous... Sorta like subscribing to AARP (haven't done that). 

19 October 2023 11:29-1:04
Thursday Before the Nor’easter

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 30+5 (5588)
Distance: 2.83
Cal: 314
Avg Hr: 146, 182-96, 79

HGPU 17

20 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
Dead Bugs 40 alt + 30 same-sided = 70
20 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga
Wall Squats 90s

HGPU 15

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...