Monday, October 9, 2023

Autumn's Really Here

I have the thermostats turned down to 50F so the heat shouldn't kick on even with temps reading in the low 40s. I actually put a winter parka on to take the dogs to the park, but I didn't have to zip it up since I was well-layered with a hoodie, hat, flannel shirt and long sleeve T. The ground is saturated so Bogs go on the feet for trudging through mud. Dogs meet up with other pups and everyone is happy.

I get to the gym later than I'd like but it's a holiday so a lot of places like schools, the post office and banks are closed. I worry that there will be a lot of kids, but I guess they slept in today. I always seem to wake up feeling stiff and sore and that could be due to the 30-year old mattress that's in desperate need of replacing, or that my husband and I trod all over the last day of the NY Renaissance Faire yesterday (the phone tells me over 9,000 steps).

The gray hoodie I own seems to be heavier than the blue ones I favor. Without looking at the tag, I'm sure that the gray ones are 100% cotton while the colored items are a cotton/poly blend. It's chilly and I keep my hoodie on for most of cardio, but eventually I'm too sweaty. Especially by the time I get to the Stretch Cage for pull-ups. I realize that I'm not doing myself any favors by skipping that second set, so today I decide to add it back in. It's not pretty or pleasant, but I get it done.

I do skip the Wall Squats today. I'm not sure I'll do another push-up challenge this week. While I was quite pleased to get to 155 last week, I'm not entirely convinced that I'm not causing damage to my eyes because there's probably not enough rest time between sets to negate any potential rise in IOPs. There's literally no way for me to check my own eye pressures unless I make an appointment to see my glaucoma doc, and I already have one for early December. So, now I'll have to amuse myself some other way... 

Meanwhile, I notice that one of my favorite tanks (it's really old) is wearing so thin that it's developing holes. And I can't find this style anywhere anymore. Which is why it's not crazy to find something you really like and then want to buy a dozen of them, hoping that you won't outgrow whatever it is you stocked up on. I have this style workout tank in black and it's in good shape, only because I had forgotten I owned it so it hasn't been worn very much. It's not so much the wearing that kills clothing; it's the laundering and drying. 

Yes, clothes dryers eat your clothes, but living on wetlands means hanging your clothes to dry just makes everything smell moldy. Today, I keep the lavender tank inside a lingerie bag to wash, AND to dry. (I normally dry those bags in the electric dryer anyway otherwise they start to smell of mildew.) This way, the garment won't be subjected to abrasion from other garments, zippers, buttons, the walls of the dryer itself.

9 October 2023 11:36-12:57
Brisk Monday

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 30+5 (5524)
Distance: 2.81
Cal: 311
Avg Hr: 140, 183-85

HGPU 17 whew!

20 Hip Bridges
Crunches 60
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
60 Dead Bugs
20 Hip Bridges
Elbow Plank 60s
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Fire Hydrants 30 x 2
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25
Air Squats 25
Upper body stretch
Eye yoga

HGPU 15

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...