Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Old News is New News

I read recently that exercise might increase your life span. What?! Wow! Okay, not just exercise, but intense exercise. Uh, wait. Isn't that the premise behind doing HIIT cardio, etc? Or is increasing one's ability to process oxygen not considered longevity-enhancing? It was only a few years ago that we learned about the relationship between exercise and telomeres, the endcaps to our chromosomes. They shorten with each cellular division, and once they are too short, the cell dies. 

Endurance and high-intensity exercises are good for protracting cellular life. Resistance training, not so much. (There is also too much of a good thing as unexpectedly long telomeres seem to increase cancer risks. That is not to say that exercise induces cancer.) And the definition of an intense workout? Apparently, one that induces a good sweat. Yep, we all knew that even if we didn't know why. Back to the elliptical for Intervals, please! 

I spent an inordinately long time at the Bark Park because the pups have made a new friend: a frisky 6-mos old German Shepherd who loves to run, chase, intercept, and rear up to box. Other dogs arrive and there is a lot of running, jumping, sudden stops, barking, and baring of teeth, but in play. Temps never rise above 28F but dogs don't care except that most of the water bowls are filled with ice. I always bring water and a bowl for the pups. At least my water is still liquid! My husband and I get to the gym close to 1 pm. It's cold inside the gym as well. 

The workout is fairly routine except for Smith Inclined Presses. Even though I'm seated on the big adjustable bench with a footrest, I'm still experiencing a lot of stress on my right side. In addition to the discomfort, the sole of my right foot goes numb. Well, that's different and unpleasant. I hate to think that I'm putting too much stress on my lower spine and pelvis when I'm barely pushing much weight. Luckily, the numbness dissipates once I start to rerack the plates. 

The ClimbMill is also acting suspect. The machine averages 52 steps per minute at the Speed 6 setting. Fifty-two steps for 15 minutes equals 780. There are 7 extra steps because the machine managed to get to 55 steps per minute for a few seconds. I do work up a good sweat though. And sweating is everything!


9December2020
Frigid Wednesday

Precor elliptical
35 min
Program 1
HR 95, 147, 194
Cal 318
Distance 2.85

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Plank 60s
Pushups 50
Quick Mat Stretch

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
+20 x 20
+40 x 15 (right foot numb)
+50 x 15
+40 x 15

Matrix Step
Speed 6
Min 15
HR 139
Cal 115
Steps 787
Floors 49

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...