Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Beware of Black Ice

It's been nearly a week since I last worked out. An unplanned hiatus due to bad weather in more than one way. Not only am I not inclined to go to the gym during torrential rain or sleet, but I'm also leery of reinjuring myself. I took an unexpected tumble down my front steps on some black ice while walking the dog at night. Luckily, I didn't break anything as I landed on my well-padded rump. And luckily, my son was able to take both dogs while I got to my feet. 

A finger on my left hand must've struck the steel railing because it swole up and turned splotchy purple. A sore hard spot on my backside meant another bruise there but it wasn't until a few days later when I managed to view it in a mirror that I realized how big and purple the bruise was. It could've been an ink stamp pad! Between the right leg sciatica and the left side bruise, coupled with an inability to grip properly because of a swollen finger, well, I thought it best to baby myself a bit. I went back to the gym today but didn't push any weights other than bodyweight push-ups and a few hammer grip pull-ups. 


The finger's still swollen but barely purple. The other bruise is quite livid nearly a week later with a bright yellow spot in the middle of it. I do cardio, core, stretches, sneak some pull-ups, and then climb up the stepper. At Speed 6, the machine briefly flirts with 57 steps per minute but settles for 52. I increase the speed to 7 and watch the console register 62 steps per minute. Ugh. Ten minutes and I split the time between each setting. Done! 

If the weather holds, I might make it to the gym tomorrow after taking dogs to the park to get their zoomies out. Or maybe I should save myself for the dig out since over 12 inches has been forecast. That's a lot of driveway shoveling. 

15December2020
Frigid Tuesday

Precor elliptical
35 min
Program 2
HR 88, 170, 139
Cal 316
Distance 2.85

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Plank 60s
Pushups 50
Quick Mat Stretch

Sneaky HGPU 10

Matrix Step
Speed 7-6
Min 10
HR 149
Cal 83
Steps 574
Floors 35

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...