Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Mid-Week Chill

I shouldn't be surprised anymore that in a 24-hr period, the weather can change from blissfully warm & sunny to overcast & just shy of freezing. It is December after all. I took the pups to the park early because I wanted them to have the freedom to run through all three sections unimpeded. Eventually, though, they got bored with each other and with no other dogs to play with. But at least they got 45 minutes of run time. I had the foresight to open a packet of chemical hand-warmers and stash them inside my gloves. Six hours later and they're still toasty hot in my fleece vest pockets as I sit typing. 

It's Wednesday and time to make some small adjustments to my routine. There's absolutely no one on the LifeFitness cross-trainers so do cardio there for 20 minutes, plus a 5-minute "cool down" period. Less time and comparable "distance" if I can trust the console. There's not much I can do to alter the exercises I do in the Aerobics Room since I've already cut so many from the list due to my sciatica and glaucoma issues. But at least I'm not groaning with every move I make, something I hear in the locker room when seniors are present. 

The Smith is free but there's no bench so I have to drag one from the DB area, wheeling the only free adjustable bench between the Breaker benches and BB racks. It's the bigger, heavier bench which means it's a bear to move, but it does have footrests at the base of the seat. Pressing aggravates my sciatica, but it's not as bad as the twinge in my right shoulder. I'm not inclined to do more than one set at 80 lbs (egads I'm getting soft and weak!) so I add a set of lesser weight as a finish. 

Well, really a finish is a bit more cardio so I scan the platform. The ClimbMill is free. And out of commission! Good thing the one next to it is ready to go! Someone just switched the signage and unplugged the first machine. The second machine also rambles between 55 and 57 and sporadically hits 60 steps per minute at the Speed 6 setting. Maybe it's just a Matrix thing? There are a few regulars here today, and a father-son team, and very few women. No teenagers yet. 

Our school district just went to full remote until mid-January due to increasing levels of positive cases. I guess school bus drivers are out of luck! It's not that everyone's sick. It's that one sick person necessitates the quarantining of surrounding people, leaving the schools short-staffed. If you have several sick people, that's a lot of "collateral damage." I like the dog park because I don't wear a mask there since it's outside with few people and a hearty breeze coming off the lake nearby. I don't wear a mask to walk the dogs down our road either. If we come across neighbors, we keep several yards apart. 

I understand pandemic fatigue and just plain ol' fatigue. I'm definitely not getting enough sleep. Today, I walked into the gym without a mask but put it on once I could get my gloves off and put my gym bag down. Normally, I put it on in the car but today I just plum forgot. I keep a mask in my coat pocket, and several in my purse and gear bag. My son constantly forgets to grab a mask so I'm always handing him one before the school bus or before kung fu class or his Troop meeting. Thank goodness I invested in several dozen washable ones. Not medical grade but several cloth layers so good enough protection for most activities. 

2December2020
MidWeek Change Wednesday

LifeFitness
20min +5 cd
Program Manual
HR 117-134
Cal 200
Distance 2.86

Crunches x 60 x 2
Piriformis Stretch
Plank 60s
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Bird Dogs 60s x 2
Fire Hydrants 25 x 2
Plank 60s
Pushups 41
Quick Mat Stretch

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
+20 x 20
+40 x 15 right shoulder twinge
+50 x 15
+30 x 25

Matrix Step
Speed 6
Min 15
HR 127
Cal 119
Steps 810
Floors 50

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...