Wednesday, September 18, 2019

The Fatigue Factor

Tuesday nights are hard for getting enough sleep when we don't get home until 9:30 and there's still homework to be done. And I can't go to bed until everything is closed up for the night, because I'm a tad compulsive.

I think about bagging today's workout but I don't. Because I'm compulsive. I think about just doing cardio and leaving it at that. But I don't, even as I'm lying on the floor doing crunches and thinking about how nice it would be to take a quick nap. My knuckles are a little beat up, which is odd considering all the precautions I take to keep them safe: moleskin, white tape, cotton wraps, and padded gloves. Still, I have a small scab under the middle finger knuckle. It's a friction burn and it will heal, but I am very surprised that I've broken skin at all. I'll have to cut bigger squares of moleskin next time.

My first set of pull-ups is easy. My last set is really hard and less than I want. The last two reps are only half reps. Ugh. I'm tired and my elbows are tired too.  It's those puny forearms, stressed by sets of RG BB Curls, Seated Rowing, and even the close-grip Lat Pull Downs. Emptying a spray can of white Rustoleum onto the front door didn't help. Who knew that spray-painting your front door could be so taxing? The door is metal and pocked with rust spots at the bottom. After scrubbing off surface dirt with a sponge, I use one of three cans of spray paint. The first coat takes hours to dry even with a fan blowing on it. I repeat the process the next day. It's a good thing I bought three cans. There's no indication of how much coverage one can of paint provides and the helpful fellow at Home Depot said that I'd be safer with at least three cans. He was right.

The weather is slated to be awesome all week (sunny, not too hot, low humidity, a good breeze) so I have plans to treat the custom-made wooden storm cellar doors with waterproofing. It's been several years since those doors got hit with Thompson's WaterSeal which, unfortunately, doesn't have any staying power. This time I plan to brush on Behr's Waterproof Wood Finish. I'm not sure it'll be any better, but I've had a tarp over the doors for the past two winters, and the tarp is disintegrating just from exposure to sun, rain, heat, snow, ice, and cold. Life in the northeast! After the doors dry, I'll probably put a new tarp over it all anyway.

I'm a little frazzled myself. I think it's the lack of sleep. Or it could be that my son is in high school and now we've got to think about college. It's kicking my anxiety into high gear. Still, we're busy enough. My son decided to skip a Scout hike to Breakneck Ridge in Cold Spring in order to attend the Steuben Day parade in NYC with some of his classmates from German Club. I offered to chaperone if they still had need, and today I found out that yes, I'm going too. Not that I'm German, but my mother did spend a week with a German family when she attended the Fresh Air Fund camp as a child. I think that's why her meatball recipe called for bread soaked in milk, and I only realized that this summer when my son and I made German meatballs for extra credit for his German language class. My uncle was stationed in Germany while he was in the Army. He would send us German school books. My brother even got a pair of leather lederhosen (which he never wore). So, we're not German. But we have an affection for the people and the culture.

Exhausted Wednesday Pull

30 elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Miles 2.86
Calories 319
HR 143-203 (86)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 21

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches Legs Up 60
Bicycles 60
Crunches knees bent 60
Horizontal Scissors 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Lat Pull Downs Close Neutral
70 x 15 warm-up
85 x 12
100 x 12
115 x 8, 8, 8

Seated Cable Rows
70 x 12
85 x 12, 12, 12

RG BB Curls
(Rt elbow)
40 lbs x 25 reps x 3 sets

20 elliptical + 5cd
Program 2
Calories 233
Miles 2.08
HR 133-173 (95)

HGPU 18+2 halves

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...