Monday, September 23, 2019

The First Day of Autumn is a Scorcher

There were a few chilly nights where temps dropped down into the 40s. Today was blazing hot and 84F. My grandmother would call it Indian Summer although all ancient texts regard that term appropriate only if there's been a hard frost preceding this unusually hot and humid weather. This is hot for September. It's hot for the first day of Autumn as well. The a/c is blasting at the gym once they close the doors. The morning crew likes to air the place out after wee-hour diehards have gone their merry way.

I'm quite happy to pedal on the Precor elliptical at the start and end of my routine. Right now I'm thinking that the HIIT cardio program I've been doing for the past several months is the reason my toenails appear to have irregularities, but only on my big toes. My dermatologist can't explain it, and I haven't made an appointment for a biopsy yet either. I'm really good at procrastinating. It's my anxiety. Unfortunately, knowing what it is doesn't really alleviate it.

I can't get on the Smith to do Inclined Benching because M, Lazy Pedals, and a few other regulars are using it. And gabbing. And gabbing. And gabbing. I do a few sets on the breaker inclined bench. It's not optimal, but I get some pressing done. The bench is too wide and hits the back of my arms as the bar descends. That means I don't actually bring the bar to my chest, but a few inches above it. Oh well.

I do manage to complete all my sets for DB laterals and reversed inclined flys. And Rip Skulls. But I'm just really happy to be back on the elliptical. This time there's no one around me. Earlier, I was surrounded by old regulars who insist on chatting across empty machines. I pass by the Nexersys and see that both of them are down again. The power button is lit, but the screens are black. I guess I won't be whacking the machine tomorrow. I'll have to plan something else.

The sun is blazing when I leave the gym. Doesn't feel like Autumn at all, but the leaves are definitely changing and a lot are already falling like rain...

Blazing Hot Monday Push
30 elliptical + 5cd
Program 2
Miles 2.90
Calories 324
HR 149-184 (87, 94)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 21

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches 60/60
Bicycles 60
Horizontal Scissors 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Breaker Inclined Bench
Bar (45) x 20
55 x 16
65 x 15, 15, 15

Smith Inclined Press
Occupied by chatty guy regulars

DB Laterals s/s Rev Inclined Flys
20 lbs x 12/15 reps x 4 sets

Rip Skulls
40lbs x 12, 12, 12

20 elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.06
Calories 230
HR 137-175 (93, 87)

Mat Stretch


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...