Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Better Than Coffee

The Sleep Cycle app on my phone tells me that even though I spent about 6 hours in bed, I actually only got about 4 plus hours of sleep. Huh? Granted, the coffee I drank yesterday did its job and I was alert at last night's Boy Scout meeting. There were a lot of issues to discuss among the adults while boys were busy practicing their first-aid and knot-tying skills. I know I woke up an hour before the alarm, then dozed fitfully until I really had to leave the warmth of my bed. That can't be the effects of coffee from yesterday, can it?

I am totally exhausted when I drive my son to the school bus stop this morning and part of me is extremely happy not to even consider HIIT cardio. Instead, I start off slowly with a warm-up pace for the first 7.5 minutes. That's how long each section is in the Precor elliptical's 30-minute fitness program. It's telling that my HR appears to be ridiculously high when I start, somewhere around 155, if you can trust this machine (which I don't).

By my second cardio workout, my start HR is closer to 135. But in both cases, I do ramp up the effort and watch my HR at first dip to ridiculously low numbers (85, 88) and then blip up 100 points or more. I think it's wonky software in the HR monitors as I don't get these types of readings on other cardio machines. In all fairness though, I also don't push as hard on those other machines either, because I can't. The elliptical is the closest in mimicking my natural running movement. None of the other machines feel as in sync.

Even after my warm-up cardio, I still feel a bit sluggish and grind my way through elbow planks, crunches, and other core exercises. At least I felt strong during pullups. I get a warning twinge in my left forearm at the 20th rep, one of the reasons I only go to 21 these days. It's a Pull Day, which to a lot of folks means Back and Biceps. I've dropped a lot of exercises because they're too strenuous for my glaucoma.

Now I'm down to Lat Pull Downs (with a neutral, close-grip handle), Seated Cable Rows and RG BB Curls. If I get desperately bored, I might return to Smith RDLs for high reps at a really low weight. And while I'm in the Smith, I'd probably add RG BB Rows, again with high reps and low weight.

Mostly what I do is cardio. I've gotten a bit antsy by the RG BB Curls, which is weird considering that all I've had is a half cup of day-old coffee and a lot of water. I'm a bit wrecked and maybe it's that I'm over-tired. I know that happens with little kids. Not sure this is applicable to adults in their late 50s. I can't wait to get on the elliptical again. Actually, I looked at the cross-trainers but they were occupied, and the recumbent bikes are usually reserved for the really frail or super lazy. The ellipticals are all empty. Yaaay me!

Program 1 is my least favorite because of how much time is spent at Incline 1 (which is flat). I'm much happier with higher incline levels. I'm only on for 25 minutes and I should be fairly tired. With only 5 minutes left in the program, I find myself really pushing hard. It feels awesome. Somewhere, some part of me is missing the exertion from HIIT cardio and interval training.

I'm not tired anymore. But I'd better get a decent amount of sleep tonight. A new study indicates (at least among healthy young white men) that 4 straight nights of less than optimal sleep causes metabolic slowdowns, leading to overeating and weight gain. A weekend of catch-up sleep helped but didn't totally mitigate the problems initiated by higher levels of blood insulin. I always knew that being tired made me inexplicably hungrier. And colder. And like a recalcitrant 5-year old, I have trouble going to be on time. Some things are hard to change.


Another Exhausted Wednesday Pull
(5.01 miles)

30 elliptical + 5cd
Program 3
Miles 2.93
Calories 330
HR 159-202 (88, 94, 87)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 21

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches Legs Up 60
Horizontal Scissors 60
Crunches knees bent 60
Bicycles 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Lat Pull Downs Close Neutral
70 x 15 warm-up
85 x 12
100 x 10
115 x 10

Seated Cable Rows
70 x 12
85 x 12, 12, 12

RG BB Curls
40 lbs x 25 reps x 3 sets

20 elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Calories 233
Miles 2.08
HR 139-190 (96)

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...