Friday, September 13, 2019

Cardio Friday the 13th

I've known since I was a child the number of fat cells you have don't change; they just shrink or engorge. Breaking news! The rate that the fat cells shrink or engorge decreases as people age, which means even if you eat the same foods and expend the same calories by doing the same exercises you did when you were younger, chances are good you'll be getting fatter -- your fat cells are not flushing and reabsorbing at your younger more efficient rate.

Apparently, there's a full moon tonight. And it's Friday the 13th. Too bad it's not October, then it'd be spooky. Actually, it's a beautiful day to be outside although it was chilly at 50F this morning. Of course, I'm bone-tired as is my son. We're both happy that it's Friday, which means we can sleep in tomorrow. Fridays at the gym aren't as crowded as Mondays when folks slink in to assuage guilt from an overindulgent weekend.

The only concession I make to my fatigue is not doing HIIT cardio. Instead, I do Program 1 on the elliptical for 30 minutes plus 5. It's Cardio Plus Friday and I'm actually looking forward to the challenge. I get my three sets of pull-ups. I make a point of not stressing myself too much on the cross-trainer or the recumbent bike, but I still work up a good sweat. Mostly I choose which machine by how many chatty people are already there. Today I also add back Walking Lunges before ending with 2:1 Seated Leg Curls.

I'm not tired when I'm done, but my legs remind me that I've done over 8 miles when I realize I have to plant nearly three dozen little twigs that showed up on my doorstep yesterday. Well, really it was my lower back that complained from all the squatting and bending from clearing dirt, digging holes, and planting fragile leafless milkweed stems. I ordered plants from the Monarch Watch organization back in July. August was too hot to ship from the nursery in Kansas. They informed me that the plants would have well-developed roots but would be shorn of leaves when prepped for travel.

I know from experience that milkweeds can come back from being completely stripped by caterpillars so I'm not too worried. But I'm not sure if all the plants have truly survived two weeks traveling by UPS Ground. Most but not all the sticks look green. I tie slivers of brightly colored ribbons around them so they won't be mistaken for other weeds. All this takes a lot of time, but it's sunny with a light breeze and I don't mind spending hours outside. But my lower back's ecstatically happy when I can finally stand up straight and walk back into the house.

Cardio Friday the 13th
(8.17 miles)

30 min elliptical + 5cd
Program 1
Miles 2.86
Calories 319
HR 138-204 (81, 85, 90)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 21

Elbow Plank 60s
Crunches 60/60
Leg horizontal scissors 60
Bicycles 60
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

20 X-trainer + 5 cd
Level 1 Manual
Calories 195
Miles 2.69
HR 126-140

HGPU 21

Walking Lunges
29+29= 58

15 Recumbent Bike + 3 cd
Manual level 1
Calories 79
Miles 2.62
HR 115-125

2:1 Seated Leg Curls
15lbs x 12
30 x 12, 12, 12

HGPU 20

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...