Thursday, April 11, 2019

Shiny Shoes

I took yesterday off because I needed to relearn how to use my sewing machine. I've only ever used it once before to hem several pairs of pants. I had more pants to hem. The tailor I used to frequent has closed shop, and besides, I really didn't want to spend $80 just to hem pants at $20 a pop. Taking Wednesday off throws a wrench into my workout routine. Normally, I'd do HIIT Cardio and use Thursday as a rest day. Then I'd be fresh for HIIT Cardio on Friday. I don't do routines back-to-back as it puts too much stress on the body which needs more than 24 hours for proper recuperation.

Knowing that tomorrow will be HIIT Cardio with pull-ups, pushups and fun things like Walking Lunges and 2:1 Lying Leg Curls, I opt to whack the kickboxing machine today. It's cardio-intensive, but won't actually stress the exact same muscles I'll be punishing tomorrow.

When I get to the gym, the Heron's friend, who I've dubbed Shiny Shoes, greets me with a boisterous "Hi!" and I respond with my low-key, low voice "Morning" which he then repeats. Weird, right?

The shiny shoes are weirder. I don't think I've ever seen patent leather sneakers before. (Maybe they're shiny plastic?) He wears them with black pants and a black and white print long sleeve sweatshirt. He's also very tall. Later, I make him help me reboot the Precor elliptical because the display panel is wonky and there doesn't seem to be an On/Off switch.

The Nexersys looks the same, a bit lop-sided and worn, with the glare from the big plate glass windows making the screen difficult to read. I miss a few prompts because the Cross arm obstructs my view of that part of the screen. I don't get any Hitting Too Hard warnings, but the screen goes black more than a few times. It's humid and I'm sweating after just three rounds. The Intermediate rounds start off with a funky sequence no human can keep up with, so I cancel the round and start again. It's slightly more reasonable the second time around.

The Advance setting still goes to SouthPaw for round 2 and I try my best to ignore the verbal prompts and just look at the visual cues. It doesn't matter though, because the machine scores all my combinations at zero, even though I've got points for Accuracy, Power and Strikes. I so don't care that I'm actually amused. I do a Mat Stretch afterward to prevent soreness. I find if I don't take the precautionary piriformis stretches for the glutes, the back of my upper thighs seem overly tight and sensitive. In the locker room, I overhear a woman confessing that she should stretch but she's just too lazy. However, she's not above complaining about her aches and pains. I have no sympathy.

While I'm in the shower, I overhear another conversation, this time between a woman whose doctors tell her she's not sick but she doesn't feel right. She's sick and she knows it and so is her son who is asthmatic. They've both been ill since visiting her brother at a health care facility some months ago. She finally coughs up chunks of yellow phlegm. I can't help myself and tell her to ask to be checked for Candida auris. Seriously. It's all over the news this week.

Whacking Thursday

10 min elliptical
Calories 95
Miles 0. 84
HR 144-195 (87)

T, Y & I Raises
5lbs x 15 x 2

Mid-Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15
Cage Stretch

Nexersys FM
Beginner 7r
Intermediate 5r
Advance 3r

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...