Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Bigger but Not Necessarily Better

Even though we live in the digital age where we keep mini-computers in our pockets with our phones, email, calendars and assorted games, I still like having access to hang-on-the-wall calendars. The ones that animal rescue organizations and nature centers all send you in response to your one-time donation. I get several every year and hang them throughout the house. I like being able to jot notes in the tiny square under each date, and then flip back to check data from months or years ago. I could do this with my phone, but it's actually harder to access the information I want digitally than to flip through some photos of wolf pups and winter elks. 

This is the reason I know that I actually haven't been even close to my goal weight of 108 lbs in over a year. I'm reluctant to set a new standard weight for myself because it would mean I've given up on dropping enough body fat to reach 108. That weight is probably not sustainable unless I make drastic changes to my workout routine and meals. With the advent of warmer temperatures, I'd like to look "decent" with fewer clothes. Don't we all? And by "decent" I mean leaner, with better-defined muscles. Not ripped, because I'm not competing. But definitely less fat. I might have to give up avocados, the "butter that grows on trees." This is definitely going to be unpleasant. 

Starting last week, I increased my cardio and weight-lifting intensity. I also indulged in salty, greasy dim sum over the weekend, and since I'm sodium-sensitive, I know I'm retaining fluids. Age also has a way of causing your body to behave unexpectedly, like making your feet feel fat, or your hands cold all the time. My once super-comfy Rykas are now a skosh too narrow if I wear slightly thicker socks. (So now I'm really happy I have my over-sized, memory-foam Skechers clown shoes to alternate into.) My hands and feet go numb several times a day if I'm sitting at my computer, watching TV, reading, sleeping... You can't tell me I'm not getting enough exercise for my cardiovascular system! I don't even know how I'd bring this up with my doctor, or if I even should during my annual. But that's not until next year anyway... 

I stretch my fingers out and feel the tendons running up my forearm. Unexpectedly, this movement seems to aggravate my budding golfer's elbow. Ugh. My quads are a little tight today. I expect my arms and back to be sore tomorrow since today was a fairly intense routine. When it's nice outside, there are fewer folks inside. Good for me! I watch Hollywood perform an odd compound exercise: she's down on the floor in push-up position, then takes the low cable single handle and does a sort of tricep kickback with one arm. I admit I've never seen anyone do that before. 

For me, switching to thinner handles has made all the difference in whether I can perform reps in good form. But my elbows are still aggravated, although this hasn't become chronic. In the past, I've worn forearm bands for tennis and golfer's elbow. They didn't really help much. Wrist and forearm exercises didn't alleviate the discomfort either. What helps is changing to a neutral grip that I can actually get my fingers around, and limiting the number of reps before the tendons suffer too much damage. 

I see a few snowbirds return to the gym after months in the sun. They look like over-stuffed pillowcases because although they're tan, they're also really fat now. When I leave the gym, the Mayor is arm pedaling and chatting at a normal volume. I don't even hear him. Awesome -- he's learned how to use his inside voice! 

It's chilly both inside and outside, but I see a subtle swelling in the tiny branch tips, signifying tree flower buds, and the subsequent pollen dust storm to come. That actually makes me happy. 

Cold Sunny Tuesday Pull

30 min elliptical + 5 cd
Program 3
Calories 333
Miles 2.95
HR 145-207 (87)

Push Ups 50
Crunches Legs Up
30 Bicycles 50
Crunches knees bent 40
Horizontal Scissors 50

Smith RDLs
Bar (30) x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12, 12, 12

Smith RG BB Row
80lbs x 25 reps x 3 sets

Lat Pull Downs
(Narrow close grip GREAT!)
85 x 12
100 x 10
115 x 8, 10, 9
100 x 12

Seated 1-Arm Cable Rows
(Thinner handle grip)
30lbs x 12
40 x 10/12 (left/right)
50 x 8

RG BB Curls
35lbs x 25 reps x 2

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...