Monday, April 29, 2019

Focus on Comfort

Lying on the mat after
push-ups and before
the rest of my core routine
While my husband and son spent the weekend learning how to use climbing equipment at a Scout outing, I did errands like getting my toaster fixed at a local Repair Cafe event. It's a volunteer organization that pairs retired "coaches" with people wishing to repair standard household appliances. It took about an hour, but I got my 18-year-old 4-slice toaster to work properly! Yaaaay! I had been dreading the idea of shopping for a new one and now I don't have to! Suffice it to say, this fear of wasting and/or adding to landfills and ocean pollution has turned a lot of us into "hoarders in the making." (Where do you think all those trucks go after a hoarder's house has been cleaned out? Got Junk claims to actually try to sort and recycle their hauls. That's reassuring.)

While Marie Kondo and Swedish 'Döstädning' (death-cleaning) have become very popular, there's always the worry all the discard is going to landfills, whether in this country or across the sea. I feel guilty enough that I try to recycle or reuse as much as I can, but I know, truly, that most of what I put into my recycling bin isn't going to be recycled. Because our country doesn't really have a vibrant recycling industry, even though we should. So, it is with a bit of guilt and resignation that I buy two pairs of workout pants at a deep discount at Marshall's. 

Fave pants
My favorite exercise bottoms are ancient, loose, slinky black yoga pants that had two major flaws when purchased new: a floppy waistband that couldn't support the clip of an iPod nano and fabric that wouldn't release the stink of a hard workout. Once I realized I could plop the iPod into my gear bag (which I tote around with me throughout my workout) the waistband didn't matter. 

Over the years, the fabric has worn down and no longer maintains its tenacious grip on odors. However, that also means that it is wearing thin from frequent laundering. I noticed last week that I could see through the backside seam area. Thank goodness I favor solid black cotton panties! Eventually, the fabric will be fragile enough to rip. Ugh! Hence, new workout pants. But because the store sells "remainders" or items that haven't sold at full price at regular retailers, there is an odd assortment of brands, styles, and sizes. 

I've finally come to terms with the fact that I'm not going to fit comfortably in size S leggings, pants, etc, at least in sportswear. So I grab size M pants to try on. I also select several size L sports bras and find that no matter what brand or style, L is too tight. I need an XL for flat-chested athletic women, even though my tanks are all size S. The size M pants, however, are extremely comfortable if not entirely flattering. I'm a bit self-conscious, but once I've got my tunes on loud, I don't really care. The 90 Degree by Reflex capri leggings has pockets on the upper thighs. I don't know what I'd ever put in them... maybe an iPod nano? Their ads show models putting phones in them. I don't have skinny legs like that. The Danskin ones look like sailor pants, but I'm buying for comfort. I really want a replacement "go-to" workout pant, but one that's not going to cost a $100. 

Today I wear the legging-style pant. They're comfortable, but later, I'm annoyed that I actually do have to keep pulling the legs down because they're riding up my big thighs. It seems to be a continuing problem I have with footless leggings and tights. (This doesn't happen with sports pants unless they're too snug.) Having your pants ride up into your crotch is not only uncomfortable, it's also truly embarrassing. I'm disappointed. Of course, you can't tell how new workout clothes will behave until you actually work out in them. I have the same problem with athletic shoes. Walking around the store isn't the same as going for a run. 


Wednesday I'll try out the "sailor pants" to see how they hold up. At least the new NB bra stayed in place and remained comfortable throughout the entire workout. I feel like a big bruiser when I go to buy workout clothes, not some tiny little woman. But when I change into street clothes, I'm wearing hand-me-downs that my son outgrew when he was 12. It's a matter of perspective. 

Frosty Monday Pull

Norwegian 4x4
5 min w/u (4 min on / 3 min off) x 4
5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26, 30, 33
Calories 291
Miles 2.67
(no HR reading on 4th elliptical)

Cage Stretch
HGPU 23

Push Ups 60
Crunches Legs Up 40
Bicycles 50
Crunches knees bent 50
Horizontal Scissors 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith RDLs
Bar (30) x 15
80 x 12
100 x 12
120 x 12, 12, 12

Smith RG BB Row
80lbs x 25 reps x 3 sets

Lat Pull Downs
85 x 12
100 x 10
115 x 9, 9, 9
85 x 15

Seated 1-Arm Cable Rows
30lbs x 12 each arm
40 x 12
50 x 8, 8, 7/8

RG BB Curls
40s lbs x 20 reps x 3 sets

Mat Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...