Monday, August 27, 2018

Another Heatwave

My son and I went to the local farm market on Saturday and bought peaches and baked goods. He loves their corn muffins, double chocolate muffins, and I'm partial to the cheddar & chive savory scones. The peaches are still a little hard, but the shiro plums we saw seemed a bit too juicy. When fruit feels too plump, it means there's been too much rain and the flesh won't be as tasty. Instead, it'll taste diluted. The cashier had some plums on the counter, offering free samples. I take one and roll it around in my hand. "It feels gritty," I tell her and look around. She tells my son he can wash the fruit at the sink in the back. Okay, rule number one: if you're offering samples for customers to eat, make sure they're actually something they can pop into their mouths at that moment. Jeeze. Needless to say, I don't buy any shiro plums.

We had pizza for dinner, and ate muffins and yogurt. Today, we both feel tired. Is it the heat? (It was a wonderful 70F all weekend, but today hits closer to 90.) Or is the fact we didn't eat proper salad and meats like we normally do? My hubs is working in Florida for the weekend, and I took this opportunity to eat carby things that we normally shun when he's home. Oh well. Tonight I've got a London broil and salad for supper.

My son and I only do 20 minutes on the recumbent bike for cardio warm up. Even the pull ups are tough today, but maybe because we're not warmed up enough? It's a push day and it's already late in the day so we skip right to Smith Inclined Presses. My son seems a bit grumpy. He's more tired than I am and we both got over 8 hours of sleep last night! I go to do my DB super sets and he diligently marches off to do machine lateral raises and then leg presses. I see Noodle Arm boy with his dad. At least they're consistent. Later, I see another guy with his son but I don't recognize them. The dad is thick and beefy, maybe an old HS or college jock. The kid is fairly stocky too. What I notice, though, is that the dad is swinging to get the BB up doing curls. Using body english isn't good form, especially if you're trying to teach your kid how to lift.

We finish with Rip Skulls. At first my son complains that his shoulder is bothering him when he pulls the bar over his head. Then he settles down into the motion and everything is fine. We retreat into the classroom and notice that it's a lot warmer than we're used to. It must really be hot outside! We decide to add a lower ab movement that I'll call horizontal scissors because I have no idea what it's really called. We save Side Planks for last. I don't remember doing Bird Dogs, so I think we skipped them. I'm spacey and hungry at this point. I suck down a strawberry Ensure at the car, and then we grab a couple of reusable shopping bags to buy groceries.

Tomorrow, we plan to go to the movies. It's going to be over 90F, but since we go around 11, there'll likely be no one at the theater. I offered to take my son to see The Meg, but he said it was probably the same as all those other silly shark movies, and he'd rather see The Happytime Murders. What!? I'm actually surprised. I know it got awful reviews, but we're both interested in the scenes that roll after the credits, which actually show the complicated dance work of making Muppets seem independent. It can't be as bad as Sausage Party. I hope.



Heatwave Monday
Happy it's over! Whew!

20 recumbent bike
Level 1
Miles 1.85
Calories 78
AHR 105

HGPU 15, 15, 15, 15 (60)
M pull ups 8, 7, 6, 7 (28)

Smith Inclined Press
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12, m10
80 x 12, m10
90 x 12
65 x 25, m20

M Lateral Machine
30lbs x 12 x 3
M Leg Press
115 x 12 x 3

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20lbs 12/15 reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
35 lbs x 12 x 3
M30 x 12 x 3

Push Ups 50 + 10
M 20 + 15

Crunches 30/20
Horizontal Scissor 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s

Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...