Tuesday, August 21, 2018

The Power of Video

My son and I started off the workout with our standard 15 minutes on the recumbent bike, followed by 30 minutes on the treadmill. Most people would say Done, but I'm trying to get my son used to harder, more varied workouts. But even I have to admit that the pull ups were tough! I asked my son to extend his arms a tad more, and warned him that this would make it more difficult. It did. But he still did more than most people in my gym. I honestly have never seen anyone graduate from the Assisted Pull Up machine to doing actual pull ups by themselves.

We agreed to get push ups and core out of the way so we could focus on the Push portion of our routine. Also, the Smith was in use by a guy doing Squats in it. I don't see that very often. Usually guys will do chest or shoulders, but not usually legs in the Smith. My son doesn't like how shaky the left side of the machine is. It is a bit unnerving because it also rattles. But at least it doesn't stick and add drag to the bar! My son matches me for reps until we get to 80 lbs. Then he's stuck at 8, while I knock out 12, and then another set at 90. It's not the heaviest I've ever gone, but it's doable. He rolls his eyes when I tell him 65 lbs with as many reps as he can get, preferably 20, but anything over 12 is great. He gets to 10, pauses then another 5, pauses and then proceeds slowly until he can count 20. Yaaaay!

I let him go off on his own to the Lateral Raise machine and the Leg Press. He comes back while I'm between sets during my DB super sets. Someone is on the Leg Press so I show him how to use the Hack Squat with just the bar and no plates. He does a dozen and then happily notes that the Leg Press is now available. He'd rather do the Leg Press machine because the Hack Squat is a lot harder.

Last are Rip Skulls. I caution my son about positioning the bar over his mouth or throat as he bends his elbows. I'd rather he accidentally bonk his forehead than break his teeth, or catch himself in the throat! It's hard to know the position of your own limbs sometimes. I whip out my phone and start videotaping him so he can see what he's doing. He's aware that I'm recording, and maybe because he's more self-conscious, he actually corrects his form so that his hands come close to his forehead before dropping down behind his head. Perfect. I also show him the magnetic 2.5 lb discs.

We're kind of pooped afterwards, but still do our stretches. My shoulders and back have been knotty lately, mostly because I'm not able to do the same sort of stretches anymore with these abbreviated foam pads. Ugh. Meanwhile, our dog seems a tiny bit better. I've been giving him a tiny dose of CBD oil on ciabatta toast, and oddly, he seems less leaky. His appetite is still off — he doesn't touch his medicated breakfast until mid-afternoon, and his back legs shake and occasionally fail. The King Kanine CBD oil I ordered arrived in the mail today. A therapeutic dose (2.6 ml) is much larger than what I've been giving (0.8 ml) him, and this oil can interfere with prescribed medications. I usually try to give him his toast after he's eaten breakfast and several hours have passed. I probably won't attempt an actual therapeutic dose just yet... maybe work up to it in small increments?

Today, my son and I went to see Crazy Rich Asians. It was quite a spectacle! I might have to watch it again, if only because it's so hard to catch all the details of the sumptuous decor and exhilarating scenery. I've never seen Singapore except in airline commercials. Even my son enjoyed it. And of course, I'm fans of Constance Wu (Fresh off the Boat), Michelle Yeoh (Crouching Tiger), Nick Santos (Super Store), and an Easter Egg with barely recognizable Harry Shum Jr (Glee)...


Pushy Monday

15 recumbent bike
Level 1
Calories 61
Miles 1.68
AHR 106

30 treadmill
Incline 10% Speed 3
Calories 264
Miles 1.49
AHR 115-216 (ridiculous)

HGPU 15, 15, 15, 11.5 (56.)
M pull ups 6, 5, 4, 4 (19)

Push Ups 60
M push ups 35

Bicycles 50
Crunches 30/20
Side Planks 2 x 60s
Bird Dogs 2 x 60s

Smith Inclined Bench
Bar (30) x 15
50 x 12
70 x 12
80 x 12, m8
90 x 12
65 x 20m, 25

M Lateral Machine
30 x 12 x 3
(Hack Squat bar only 12)
M Leg Press
110 x 12 x3

DB Laterals s/s Rev Incl Flyes
20lbs x 12/15reps x 3 sets

Rip Skulls
35 x 12 x 3
M20 x 12, 25 x 12 x 2

Stretch

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...