Saturday, November 4, 2017

A New Chapter

I've started a new blog entitled A Few Thoughts in Words because there are a lot of things that just don't seem appropriate to post in this particular site. I'm not sure how often I'll be posting here, but be assured that if I work out, I will post. It keeps me honest!

You can find the new blog at https://lindeswords.blogspot.com/

I'm still working on the medical writing/editing coursework. Still slogging through basic grammatical constructs. What I've learned about myself is that my knowledge is mostly internalized. I'm horrible at being able to label what part of the sentence specific phrase is, but I can correctly pick out and fix bad sentence structures. It feels intuitive, but I'm sure I've merely absorbed all the rules from a lifetime of reading and writing.

I have decided to apply to some local businesses for part-time work because financial anxiety is keeping me up at night. I'm not sure if anyone will actually hire me. But I've sent out a modified resumé to two places, one just 10 minutes from the house, and another two doors from the gym. Modified, because I'm grossly overqualified with a college degree, I also don't have any sort of professional licenses. Sooo, I've left the college degree off my resumé. Seriously. I'm also probably a lot older than most applicants, but I'm not telling them and I don't think they can actually ask me.

My hubs thinks I ought to hang out my shingle as a personal trainer. He just doesn't understand how uninterested I am in training other people, how much I don't like traveling or leading classes, or telling people what they should or should not be doing. I especially don't want to actually "handle" people. Yuck. And will I need liability insurance if someone hurts themself? And I'll need to take more courses and pass a few licensing exams because you need certifications to work. I know because I looked into this when I was first laid off.

I'm also looking at Craigslist for writing assignments. Online jury duty sounded like an interesting idea, but no one seems to have made any money with it. I guess everyone's watching too much Bull on TV (yes, based on Dr Phil's previous life). Most other work from home opportunities appear to be scams, or pyramid schemes that make you sign up for a bazillion things you're not interested in. And they ask for lots of personal information, no doubt to sell. Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...