Wednesday, November 15, 2017

A Nation of Snowflakes

I just read an article reporting that some cancer risks directly correlate to obesity. In short, the more overweight you are, the greater your chance of dying from a fatal cancer (because there are apparently a lot of non-fatal cancers). Further in the article, physicians and policy makers bemoan the nation's snowflake tendency to walk away from insulting labels, no matter how aptly clinical they might be. As in, if your doctor labels you obese or morbidly obese, instead of formulating a plan to address this issue, you walk away and find another doctor. Seriously? Because your feelings got hurt? When I was pregnant with my son at 44, my doc stated I was of "advanced maternal age" because I was older than 35 years. Okay. I rolled my eyes at him because most of my friends had kids in their early 40s, but he's still the Ob/Gyn who delivered my son. He's still my Ob/Gyn now.

This ridiculous insistence on not having our feelings hurt is leading us down a path to ruin. Isn't this where Fat But Fit came from? No, we don't all need to starve ourselves to Twiggy-thinness so we can look Heroin Chic in our fab clothes, but lately the health news has come this close to stating as much. Futurity.org lists an article that states very low calorie diets can reverse diabetes. My first thought is, uh, that's called starvation. But I'm a wise-ass, and what do I know anyway? Calorie restriction has been promoted for years and is now trendy, and known as IF or Intermittent Fasting. Those of us who do it (no, I'm not one of them) can feel righteously pious. The rest of us try hard to ignore the beckoning call of marketers. Sometimes they're just blatant advertisements, other times they ply us on social media with photos, and discounts, promises of free shipping and "buy one, get one not free."

Okay, I'm done with my rant for now. I went to the gym and did cardio. Lots of cardio. And push ups and pull ups, and some core stuff. I still have sciatica, which didn't really bother me until the last 10 minutes of the 2nd cardio session when my lower back felt achy. But since my right foot, (the one with the bunion and hammer toes and sciatica) hurt more than my back, I focused on foot positioning more than anything else. My bunion got chafed, but the real issue was the amount of pressure on what appears to be the 4th and 5th metatarsal heads (the pinky toe side of the ball of the foot). I'm sure the hammertoes have something to do with this. Replacing the insoles of the trainers might be an option, but since I was wearing my oversized Brooks with the super cushiony liners, I'm not sure how much that will actually help. Next time I do a Cardio Day, I'll wear different trainers just to see if it's my footwear. I have a lot of shoes that don't work for me any more. Sometimes I wish I could just rent shoes for a few months, but that would be kind of icky.

I'm also toying with the idea of just doing cardio, pull ups, push ups and core as a regular routine just until my body recuperates... Hopefully I won't get too bored. I was expecting to be exhausted when I got home from the gym, but I was just a little tired and totally disfocused. I'd like to be more tired, but with better focus. I'm disappointed in how easily I get distracted. Every little physical thing eats into my time, and before I know it, my son is home from school needing help with a homework project, and then I'm working on dinner...

The vertigo isn't much of an issue except when it fools me into wondering why I'm getting carsick while driving. Sometimes I get that feeling when I'm not in the car! The vague nausea is very disconcerting and I have fleeting thoughts of food poisoning and stomach bugs. Until I realize that it's my head that's making my stomach queasy. Ugh. I forget to dose myself with fresh garlic and olive oil, which means I'll probably get sick now. I have a drippy nose, and my sinuses tell me that they're unhappy as well. Good grief. I feel like such a goddamn snowflake.

Taking Wednesday off to get stuff done around the house... Back on Thursday.

Tuesday
7.59 cardio miles

35 xtrainer
Calories 168
Miles 4.58
Average Heart Rate 146

HGPU 26
Push Ups 60
Scissors 50
Bicycles 50
Crunches 50
Side Planks 2 x 60s

35 elliptical
Program 1
Miles 3.01
Calories 342
Average Heart Rate 147

HGPU 26
Push Ups 60


No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...