Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Contrarian Woes

My sciatica seems to be intermittent. Sometimes it feels completely healed, and then I do something dumb, like stretch and the inflamed portion of the nerve running down my calf yells at me. I'm never quite sure what's going to set it off. I'd better study anatomy a bit more closely. This morning I feel pretty good and get a few things done before hitting the gym. Because it's Election Day, there's no school so I let my son sleep in. Last night he surprised me by telling me he finally figured out how to do pull ups. "I can do five," he said proudly. And he proceeded to do five at the pull up bar in the doorway that doubles as extra closet space in our tiny house. I'm so proud of him.

I get some chores done, vote and then the gym. I'm surprised the parking lot is so crowded. It's Tuesday, which means $5 movies next door, but I've lost track of what movies are playing. I'm sure Thor: Ragnorok is one of them. It's a move my whole family wants to see, and not just because I think Chris Hemsworth has an awesome bod—we haven't forgotten his dance moves from the Ghost Busters remake, have we?


I expect the gym to be crowded too because there's no school but it's the same. What's different is that there's a big Out of Order sign on the Nexersys to the left side, the one with the slightly wonky Cross and the Jab that doesn't register. However, what's hanging limp is the entire monitor display itself. I'm not quite sure exactly how one breaks the pins holding that part of the machine together, but it's seriously out of commission. I have no choice but to use the right machine, with the springy new arm set too high. I put extra thick moleskin across my pinky and ring finger knuckles. I don't like the extra thick moleskin actually. It's over 1/4" thick and feels like styrofoam. I do 7 rounds Beginner and an additional 5 rounds Intermediate. I can feel my knuckles sting under all the protection, which is weird because moleskin, white tape, cotton wraps and padded gloves should be enough. Maybe it's enough for normal people with meaty hands, but not me.

When I get all the padding off, I spot a new bruise between my pinky and ring finger. I'm not quite sure how you can bruise your hands when they're well-wrapped but I manage to do it. Maybe I'm punching too hard? Naw... It is gratifying to see the Nexersys tell me that I'm "overpower" for the Beginner rounds. It suggests I add rounds. I've already done 7, which is kind of the gym's limit. Of course, since no one else is waiting for the machine, I do another 5. Next time I'll do 7 rounds Intermediate, but I have to figure out how to prevent this knuckle injury. It's not serious, but it shouldn't be happening.

Belly shot
I look down at all I see is my slightly protruding belly. It reminds me of an insect abdomen, but I'm weird like that. Of course, what other people see is probably totally different, and more akin to the side mirror shot. I glance up at the mirrored wall by the Cross Fit station several yards away, and all I see are my arms and shoulders. Nice. That makes me happy.

Whacking the machine doesn't aggravate my sciatica. It's the lunge stretch that causes the most discomfort and makes the nerve ache through my foot. Ugh. Memo to self: stop doing that while I have this particular nerve affliction. Even pull ups are okay. Afterwards, I do a full Mat Stretch even though I did that yesterday. Tomorrow I just plan to do cardio. And core.

Tuesday

10 xtrainer
Calories 48
Miles 1.30
Average Heart Rate 148

T, Y & I DB Raises
3lbs x 15
5lbs x 15

Mid Band Pulls 15
High Band Pulls 15

Nexersys Follow Me
7r Beginner
5r Intermediate

HGPU 26

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Start of a Scorching Week

Saturday's drive down to Point Pleasant NJ took almost 3 hours in the rain. We had a good time seeing relatives in celebration of my bro...