Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Success Makes You Bolder

Was it only yesterday that I decided to see if I could get more than 25 pull ups? My sense of time is warped, but then again, so is my visual spatial perception. I'm not sure if this is physiological (are my eyeballs and lenses so fluid that images occasionally appear warped?) or some sort of other defect. I recently read that the psychiatric community has deemed "feeling disengaged" a treatable disorder. But of course, there's no meds for them to prescribe so alas, they must resort to talk-therapy.

Reality is the callouses forming on the palm side of my knuckles, purportedly from pull ups. My new gloves, alas, are neoprene and fabric, not leather, and don't contain quite enough padding. I have small, bony hands with small bony fingers. Pulling my body weight up for reps puts a lot of stress on these undersized appendages. (It's not like I can grow bigger hands or fingers.) So, I have to find better gloves, and meanwhile, up my sets and cut my reps. Ugh. However, I'm really happy that I can actually do 30 reps, granted from the bent-arm position. It makes me feel like a real athlete. Of course, doing 20+ miles of cardio a week is probably a good indication of being a Gym Rat...

I'm having a harder time these days keeping my mileage on the cross-trainer. My foot goes numb when I have only 10 minutes left to the first cardio session. At least I'm not hungry. Anymore. My stomach started complaining as I warmed up the car this morning, but I didn't really want to sit down to a bowl of yogurt and maple syrup. So I gulped down a juice glass of fat-free, lactose-free milk. It worked! I didn't actually get hungry until I hit the locker room later.

The Mat area was crowded so I did my push ups and planks and crunches off in a corner with a portable mat. I felt unusually tired and didn't get many reps for the push ups. Planks were hard to hold as well. I always attribute that to not being warmed up enough, but I don't know if that's true or not. Out of habit, I did a few sets of RG BB Rows in the MaxRack®. I like how the bar sits at shin height so I don't have to wrestle with getting plates on and off. Never mind the fact that the bar is 10 lbs heavier than a standard Oly (45 lbs). I checked with one of the trainers to make sure I wasn't imagining this. Once I get past 95 lbs, I have to don the VGs (Versa Gripps) and it's time to do Dead Lifts instead.

I found this on a Pinterest site
I'm a bit worried about "slamming" the bar into my hips as I straighten up. I also make a conscious effort to hold the bar overhand since I'm used to underhand for RG BB Rows. My knees are slightly bent so I'm not sure if this is more a Romanian DL or a standard DL. It's probably not a stiff-legged DL. (Because my knees hyperextend, it's hard for me to know when my legs are in a proper lockout position.) Once I'm at 125 lbs (assuming the bar is 55 lbs), I do a few sets. I feel it mostly in the center of my back. Once I stop, I can feel it a little in my glutes as well, but because I have fairly loose hamstrings, I don't expect much there. Pulling up feels good, it's the reps that has me a bit uncertain. I'm never quite sure how far down to go. I don't want to slam the bar onto the platform so today I just make sure that the bar goes down past my knees and appears to be as low as the initial start position. I'm a bit tired afterwards, but not too tired for a few (read that as 3) sets of ancillary exercises such as Seated Cable One-Arm Rows and Rip Skulls. More pull ups, more cardio -- this time on the Precor elliptical running performance program #2, and finally one last set of pull ups. Because today is Back Day.

Wednesday Workout
(6.64 miles total cardio; 24,515 lbs moved)

Steady State
Calorie :   135 CAL
Distance: 3.71 mile
Speed :    7.42 mph
Duration : 00:30:04
224
Set 1 : 112x30
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
Regular
one continuous session
Straight : 00:00:30
Elbow: 00:00:30
Straight : 00:00:30
Elbow : 00:00:30
30
Left : 30 Lap/Rep
Right : 30 Lap/Rep
Bird Dog
Set 1 : 00:00:30
Set 2 : 00:00:30
Set 3 : 00:00:30
Set 4 : 00:00:30
31
Set 1 : 31 Lap/Rep
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
174.17
Set 1 : 55x25
Set 2 : 75x25
Set 3 : 95x25
175
Set 1 : 105x12
Set 2 : 115x12
Set 3 : 125x12
Set 4 : 125x12
Set 5 : 125x12
63
Set 1 : 30x12
Set 2 : 37.5x12
Set 3 : 45x12
56
Set 1 : 40x12
Set 2 : 40x12
Set 3 : 40x12
205.33
Set 1 : 112x25
Prgm#2
Calorie :   253 CAL
Distance: 2.94 mile
Duration : 00:30:00
205.33
Set 1 : 112x25




2 comments:

  1. Here are links to a pair of outstanding articles on the deadlift.
    https://www.t-nation.com/training/deconstructing-the-deadlift

    https://www.t-nation.com/training/ignorant-when-it-comes-to-deadlifts

    ReplyDelete

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...