Thursday, April 14, 2016

Doing It Right

The back of my legs and my lower trapezius muscles were a little sore this morning and it was a pleasant surprise. I think that means I was doing those Dead Lifts correctly. Yay me! My glutes aren't sore though. That only happens when I do one-legged split squats, and I can't even remember the last time I did that. (Or glute-hams raises!) Anyway, I figure that alone would slow me down a tad during cardio. I had a hard time with the cross-trainer. Again. My feet go numb but at least I'm not hungry. I did eat breakfast today.

I knock out 25 pull ups and then grit my teeth for push ups and whatever core exercise that pops into my head. Because I did "Back" yesterday, and 6+ miles, I have every intention of just doing a light workout... maybe just cardio I tell myself. But as we all know, I don't listen half the time. My warm up set of push ups goes to 80 reps. I guess I could've muscled out the last 20 but I didn't really want to spend the time or energy on it. I only did Bird Dog planks as well, for the posterior chain. But I did do 3 sets of crunches, and knee-ins, which is, again, rubbing a scab into my backside. Sigh.

The Smith machine is available with the oversized adjustable inclined bench. I don't feel like searching for the smaller flat bench so I make do, and keep my feet up. Mostly because my legs are too short to reach the ground, or even the bench T-bar foot. Three quick, moderate sets and then I adjust the bench into an incline for Inclined Presses. I do a few more sets. Then 3 light sets (high reps) of DB laterals super set with Reverse Incline Flyes. Move on to BB Upright Rows, then debate whether I want to do pull ups before or after cardio. Definitely after. I'm tired.

Sparrow safely caught
in a butterfly net
Three bluebirds this morning!
Yet in spite of being tired, I punch in the Intervals program and do 30 minutes. I guess I wasn't so tired after all because I'm able to really push the speed! Then I crank out 25 pull ups, do a good Cage Stretch followed by most of the Mat Stretch. So done!

The weather is awesome today, sunny and almost warm! It's a day for the birds though... between the mourning dove that's nesting in the privet hedges across from the kitchen window, the half dozen robins on the lawn and the three bluebirds my son spotted as we walked to the school bus stop, we also had to rescue an errant sparrow that had fallen down our chimney and landed in the wood stove. I went to toss some paper into it and out she flew, up the stairs and into the attic/computer room. I've got to check that stove more often as this seems to be a regular occurrence in the spring, and one year we found the sad remains of a small bird who'd been trapped too long.

At some point I'll have to rip out the remnants of last year's kale, and plant something else. I'm looking at baby rosemary plants, zucchinis, snow peas... My dog continues to limp along with his ruptured ACL. I don't think he'd survive the surgery and rehab so I hope he can have a moderate recovery just on pain meds and joint supplements. He's trying to be more active, but each step forward moves him back with discomfort until he can adjust. He's managed to get up on the futon, so he can at least look out the big living room bay window even if he can't climb into it and lounge like a cat. His limping is painful to watch, but the alternatives seem worse.

Tomorrow we fly to Orlando. My mother-in-law's service is Saturday. My husband's sister has been in charge of their parents' care for the past few years. Our next trip may be to Scotland so I'll have to look into passports for myself and my son. My father-in-law wants his wife's ashes scattered there. I know my husband is not looking forward to the task. He's very private but has never felt particularly close to his family. I don't think being adopted has anything to do with it, but maybe.

Thursday Workout
(6.78 miles total cardio; 16,790 lbs moved)

Steady State
Calorie :   133 CAL
Distance: 3.64 mile
Speed :    7.28 mph
Duration : 00:30:00
205.33
Set 1 : 112x25
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
80
Set 1 : 80 Lap/Rep
50
Set 1 : 50 Lap/Rep
Set 2 : 50 Lap/Rep
Set 3 : 50 Lap/Rep
Bird Dog
Set 1 : 00:00:30
Set 2 : 00:00:30
Set 3 : 00:00:30
Set 4 : 00:00:30
150
Set 1 : 30x15
Set 2 : 80x15
Set 3 : 100x15
112
Set 1 : 30x15
Set 2 : 50x12
Set 3 : 70x12
Set 4 : 80x12
Set 5 : 80x12
Set 6 : 80x12
28
Set 1 : 20x12
Set 2 : 20x12
Set 3 : 20x12 SuperSet with
33.33
Set 1 : 20x20
Set 2 : 20x20
Set 3 : 20x20
45
Set 1 : 30x15
Set 2 : 30x15
Set 3 : 30x15
Intervals
Calorie :   271 CAL
Distance: 3.14 mile
Duration : 00:30:00
205.33
Set 1 : 112x25

No comments:

Post a Comment

Monday the 13th

I got a text this morning from a dog park compadre, warning me that the parks department had suddenly decided to do some spring maintenance ...