Sunday, August 11, 2024

Opening the Door to Soup

Welp, our county has a tornado watch until 10 pm tonight and considering I live in NYS, that's kind of weird, but we live in weird times these days, with weird weather. Consider that last night was rainy but pleasantly cool with temps in the mid-60s. This morning, I opened the front door to what felt like hot soup. Before 8 AM! Summer camp was cancelled so it was just me and the dogs at the park today, with the wind and the occasional drizzle. It rains harder just as we get home, an hour later.

The gym is very crowded: I've forgotten that Fridays are busy! I'm also at the gym late and I'm stuck with elliptical #3, which clunks at certain simulated elevations. I stopped taking the gabapentin because I'm conserving it for our trip to Montreal. That's a painful 6 hour drive even without sciatica. I also suspect that it might be the reason I'm having issues with an uncharacteristically sluggish bowel. It is, after all, a nerve agent of sorts, although not an opioid. I did take ibuprofen last night, but none this morning. My glute and calf muscles are stiff and painful. Really though, it's nerve inflammation.

I'm an idiot waiting for packaging to arrive for my FitBit when careful reading of the fine print at the bottom of the email says to click here for instructions for shipping. After reading a lot of irrelevant information about swapping or removing sim cards, I realize that I can click on another link to download a pre-printed shipping label. Separately, there's a form to be included with the device to be repaired/replaced. Duh. Then I spend a few hours trying to located a FedEx store. There are none in my town, but one two towns over across from the train station, and one further south in the next county. The one across from the train only has street parking enough for two cars in front of 4 stores. The other one is in a shopping plaza. Both have mixed reviews, with many customers complaining that their packages were lost and never received by intended recipients. Uh oh.

My other choice is to find a drop box. There's one on the way to the gym, but street parking is hazardous. A friend knows someone on her road who was hit by a car at that very spot, and now suffers from neurological damage. Ugh. I can park in a lot behind the office that has the drop box though although spots there fill quickly. Once I make the drop, it's just a few hours before I get an email telling me that my package is on its way. Today, I get one announcing that a replacement will be sent to me via UPS. I'm pleased but frustrated because there's a UPS store in my town and it would have been easy for me to ship the FitBit out that way. A lot of companies want you to jump through the FedEx hoop but don't do it themselves.

All this means is that I'm not currently wearing a FitBit and have no idea what my HR is. However, I'm having a lot of trouble keeping pace with my self-imposed speed of 150 or better. I fall below that a lot today on the elliptical. Which means I'm not even close to making it to 2.8 or beyond. And the elliptical registers a low 73 BPM at one point, which is not entirely unexpected. I am literally dragging my butt.

Pull-ups feel slightly better for the first round, but slightly worse for the second and final round. I do manage to keep my speed on the old step machine although the right machine doesn't register HR. After all these years though, I finally figure out how to set the bloody timer on it! And then, I'm surprised when 10 minutes has elapsed and the machine wants to give me a 2-minute cool down. Uh, no thanks! Again, the handle button doesn't respond and I have to hit the big red STOP sign in the middle of the console to end the program.


There's a gaggle of teen boys in the Max Cage that's literally just a few feet away from the cardio platform. I wish they would learn how to set their weights down without slamming the plates. My AirPods are malfunctioning and tunes are streaming out of the right earbud. The left one is dead; I'm sure it somehow just didn't charge properly. I leave it in until I get to the Aerobics Room. On the step machine, I need both ear buds connected to the tether for balance, regardless of whether they both work or not. And I won't get on the step machine without a tether because I've already lost an ear bud down the the back of the machine once before.

I choose machine #5 for the cross-trainer. It glides well, and I'm even able to pedal backward during cool down. But I'm tired and hungry and sweaty. I don't do as well as previous runs. And there's still a painful tightness that clenches the outside of my ankle when I walk. I do the bare basics in the Aerobics Room and stop just after Bird Dogs. Even those were uncomfortable, and normally they're not. No push-ups, no air squats, no wall sits. Just some stretches and I'm done.

I might be able to squeeze a quick workout in on Monday. But my glaucoma doctor's office called me and said they wanted to schedule me sooner for a specific test (I can't remember the name of it) so I have an early afternoon appointment. Just as well since my right eye feels off, like there's a film on the upper edge that I keep trying to clear. Might be just extreme dryness. Hopefully it's not a progressing vision loss...
 

This post was written Friday, then we lost internet access although our power stayed on. Just got internet back today, Sunday...


9 August 11:55-1:56
Friday — All Cardio
Timolol / sciatica
Storm Debby & No Left Earbud

Precor elliptical #3
Program 1
Time: 30+5 (5352)
Distance: 2.76
Cal: 303
Avg Hr: 142, 183-73
No Fitbit

HGPU 15 (better)

Matrix StairMaster (R) 12:43
Manual 10 min 4 sec (2 min cool down w/ timer function)
Speed 6 (52-55) /
Steps 526
Floors 32
Cal 77
Hr? N/a

3 ibuprofen the night before / no gaba — constipation?

HGPU 12

Life Fitness X-Trainer #5
Program Manual L1
Time: 20+5 (reverse cool down)
Distance: 2.04
Cal: 185
Avg Hr: 119-109


20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
10 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg ea
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Arm rotations 20
Neck stretch / Eye yoga


No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Week

I'm so tired that I'm glad I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go today after a lot of procrastination, so I got there late...