Friday, August 2, 2024

Can't Trust the FitBit

My sciatica hasn't gotten any better. The primary care doc's office finally returned my call and gave me the okay to take ibuprofen/gabapentin if I needed. I skipped exercise yesterday and limped to the gym today. It's going to be another cardio-heavy workout. I know the Timoptic is working because my BP has dropped to a normal rate, or at least that's what my home BP has told me. And today I'm really struggling through both elliptical routines as well as the stair machine.

Although I normally only have some coffee before I hit the gym, I was hugely surprised at how hungry and tired I was while exercising. I'm used to a passing hunger pang and some tummy growling, but not persistent, debilitating hunger. So distracting! I do slightly better on the Precor, slightly better on the stair machine (because it's the old machine but I did have to cut the speed in half after 5 minutes), and slightly better on the cross-trainer. I also added a second and third set of pull-ups. It can't be that!

Anyway, that's my excuse for skipping out of a few of the core exercises in the Aerobics Room. Especially since throughout my entire workout, I could feel nerve stress, sciatic stress on the outside calf and sometimes in the hamstring. The only time I didn't feel any pain was pedaling the Precor elliptical, but everywhere else, that inflamed nerve bundle made itself unhappily known. It's hot and humid today and the dogs went to the park and were disappointed that no one came to play. Maybe tomorrow as it'll be the weekend.

I reconnect the FitBit to the phone app once I turn off my iPod. The wrist appliance is periodically legible and tells me that it's detected that I'm using an elliptical. For 27 minutes. Really? It tells me this as after I finish a set of pull-ups. Jeeze. I could manually log all this into the FitBit app but that takes time and focus, and honestly, I can't be bothered. I can barely log my notes accurately so I don't need yet another distraction. 

In reality, I'm only using the device to log my sleep, and my peak and resting HRs. Still waiting for replacement packaging to be sent to me so I can return this and get one that works. Hopefully one that works for longer than 6 months... The battery life is getting shorter and shorter. I think it's down to 15 hours now.

2 August 11:38-1:50
Friday — All Cardio
Timolol / sciatica

Precor elliptical #1
Program 1
Time: 30+5 (5470)
Distance: 2.80
Cal: 308
Avg Hr: 137, 186-77
?? Fitbit: 49-132
Starving hungry!

HGPU 15 (ugh!)

Matrix StairMaster (R) (12:29)
Manual 10 min
Speed 6 (52-55) / 3 (33-40)
Steps 447
Floors 27
Cal 68
Hr 161? I can’t believe how tired I am!

HGPU 15 
exhausted already!

Life Fitness X-Trainer #6 (12:48-1:15)
Program Manual L1
Time: 20+5 (rev)
Distance: 2.32
Cal: 191
Avg Hr: 117-124

HGPU 12 (!)

20 Hip Bridges
Piriformis/Hip/Pencil Stretch
DeadBugs 20 x 5
10 Hip Bridges & 10 one-leg ea
Quick Child’s Pose
Cat stretch 12
Child’s Pose / Cobra Pose
Fire Hydrants 20 x 2
Bird Dog Planks 60s x 2
Push-Ups 25 (right outer calf)
   Skip Air Squats 25
Arm rotations 20
Neck stretch / Eye yoga
   Skip Wall Squat 90 sec


No comments:

Post a Comment

End of the Week

I'm so tired that I'm glad I don't go to the gym on weekends. I did go today after a lot of procrastination, so I got there late...